Author Topic: Ancestry suggestions - complete nonsense!!!!!  (Read 2628 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry suggestions - complete nonsense!!!!!
« on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:20 GMT (UK) »
I am despairing at the Ancestry suggestions given to me, often on the other side of the country, 50 years out, but more than once now I am seeing people's trees absolutely made a nonsense of having accepted these suggestions, with parents born AFTER their children.

1. How and why are Ancestry giving people suggested parents born after the children ????

2. How and why are people so thick as to accept these suggestions  ::) >:( :o!!!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry suggestions - complete nonsense!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 01 November 18 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I ignore them. I'm not sure what their algorithm is but it doesn't seem to take any account of dates.

Another of Ancestry's little foibles  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I ignore them. I'm not sure what their algorithm is but it doesn't seem to take any account of dates.

Another of Ancestry's little foibles  :-X
I know, from browsing DNA matches, that some of the suggestions come from other people's public trees, one specific case, I can see a person made a wrong guess and traced a line incorrectly, I am now getting that as the suggested parent. However, I don't BELIEVE anyone can willingly and knowingly trace a line and purposely select a parent born after the child, that can surely only be another Ancestry algorithm uselessness, surely  ??? :-[!??.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 November 18 12:54 GMT (UK) »
How and why are people so thick as to accept these suggestions  ::) >:( :o!!!!

Because some people just aren't very bright.

We need to accept this, and rather than getting angry with them be grateful that we have been blessed with more intelligence.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 November 18 14:49 GMT (UK) »
How and why are people so thick as to accept these suggestions  ::) >:( :o!!!!

Because some people just aren't very bright.

We need to accept this, and rather than getting angry with them be grateful that we have been blessed with more intelligence.
Yes ;). In a way it would be better that we can put it down to thickness rather than Ancestry being completely incompetent.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 01 November 18 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry's algorithm seems to be that when they find the same person in another tree as the one in your tree, they simply list all the records that the other person has attached without any sense check - I assume they think that the person who has attached them has already sense checked them.

The problem is not so much with Ancestry hints but the ability of the people they are hinting to!

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 November 18 15:22 GMT (UK) »
So what is Ancestry to do?

There are the idiots who have "trees" with all these ridiculous dates which all link to their databases.... 77 y.o.'s getting married and having kids, people being baptized years before they were born etc etc

Do they/should they have a Program to find all the completely idiotic trees and delete them??

The idiotic Hints get used because of all the idiots who just stick records together without any thought for others who actually want to find kin!

Ancestry needs to come up with some way of picking these completely stupid idiotic trees and telling people to remove them within X amount of time or they will get deleted!!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 November 18 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Of course they won't.  All the while they have these people accepting and adding completely idiotic hints to their trees they will continue to renew their subs.  Without them Ancestry would lose revenue - albeit that they might lose subscribers who can't abide the ridiculous hints.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 01 November 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Of course they won't.  All the while they have these people accepting and adding completely idiotic hints to their trees they will continue to renew their subs.  Without them Ancestry would lose revenue - albeit that they might lose subscribers who can't abide the ridiculous hints.

Pheno

Well they have a lot of stuff but I for one will not pay the Sub until they can be seen acting more responsibly

..and secondly, many many of these trees are assembled by people who never paid a sub and just used the free weekends etc.

How many people out there would become customers if these trees were removed??  Many, I reckon!
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.