Author Topic: Fraser or vicEan duie vicConil vicRoy  (Read 2938 times)

Offline alexandramac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fraser or vicEan duie vicConil vicRoy
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 August 21 12:08 BST (UK) »
Hello from Australia.  I am a descendant of Frasers from Wester Clunes..William Fraser born 1799 Kiltarlity and his wife Helen Fraser. Born Kiltarlity 180 3 They are my 2xggrandparents.  I have been researching their line and visited their graves at Wardlaw 2019  I have been searching for Williams ancestors three brothers all born Kilvarock Hugh 1723 Donald 1721 and Alexander 1727 killed at Culloden.   Williams father was Peter Fraser (aka Miller) Cawdor Nairn  born 1765.  His father was James Fraser born Kilvarock  Croy 1724.  He is only surviving brother after the deaths at  Culloden  Now interestly as to your post James' father was Alexander McIan or Fraser born 1695  at Kilvarock Croy.  I  am also puzzled by name change.  I got details through family trees family search looking for the names of the three brothers which I did not know. I now do and would love to know more of them . I wonder if James was possibly at the battle but survived.  Can anyone please shed any light on the name change or the brothers?   

Offline chrisos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 14 August 21 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexandra
I was in the fortunate position about 25 years ago to receive a copy of a hand written family tree of my Frasers from Kiltarlity, from the Fraser family bible.  This "family tree" had travelled from Scotland to New Zealand and finally to Australia.  The reason I mention this is that this may also be of interest to your research.  Without this, I definitely would never have been able to establish my line of descent to the Frasers of Wester Clunes & Kiltarlity.

I go back to Roderick Fraser (alias McEan).   Rory McEn married Ann ninAndrew in 1730 at Kilmorack.  By tracing the evolution of Rory's name (ie Rory McEn through to Roderick Fraser), I was able to establish that Rory/Roderick became a Fraser about 1738, thus becoming a "Boll O Meal" Fraser.  In other words, Roderick (and most likely others in the family) took the name Fraser in exchange for land and food (a bowl of meal) from Lord Lovat.  They would therefore be expected to carry arms for him if needed, which they obviously did at Culloden. 

The "family tree" I have shows a very confusing intermarriage - I have 2 siblings Donald F (1) and Mary (1) marrying 2 other siblings Donald F (2) and Mary F (2)... in other words Donald (1) x Mary (2) and Donald (2) x Mary (1).  It is the (2) family which shares names of Alexander, Hugh & Donald of course.  I am descended from Donald (1) and Mary (2), so therefore both families.  At this stage though I haven't researched the (2) family.

Regards
Chris
The Riverina, NSW

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline chrisos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 14 August 21 02:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexandra
As a side note - my understanding of Rory McEan's parentage ie VicEan duie VicCouil VicReiry, translates as Rory, son of John, grandchild of Conal, great grandchild of Rory.
Regards
Chris

Offline Winkles92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 11 December 22 20:50 GMT (UK) »
I’d be very interested in seeing the family tree! I’m still in Scotland and it’s very hard to find certain information as it’s been ‘lost’

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 14 December 22 13:19 GMT (UK) »
A boll of meal is a measure of oatmeal, old Scotch dry measure under 6 bushels, nothing to do with a bowl. ;D

Bests,
Skoosh.