Author Topic: Help me unravel the truth....  (Read 1979 times)

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
  • The Shah - Captain William Osburn (GGGrandfathe)
    • View Profile
Help me unravel the truth....
« on: Monday 05 November 18 23:43 GMT (UK) »
So here’s a puzzle for you to solve.

My G grandmother married in 1905 and had 4 children. One died but all 3 were living with her in 1911 - her husband however was not.

Sometime before 1914 those three children went to live with various members of their fathers family.

In 1914 my grandmother was born. My G Grandmother was living at the same address her my grandmothers father and his name was ‘Henry Thomas’.

One year later my G grandmother bigamously married a third man (her first husband died in 1918) purporting to be a widow and manipulating her name somewhat on their marriage certificate.

I loose sight of my G grandmother after this marriage and there are no family stories as my grandmother was brought up in an orphanage with the only ‘recollections’ of her parents being disproved by research.

I never really looked for ‘Henry Thomas’ thinking that with only a name and a fairly common one at that it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Fast forward 10+ years and I’m in the local history centre of the town in question so decided to research the address a little. There was nothing on the electoral registers but from 1911 - 1915 there was a Thomas Henry Parish at the same address.

It HAS to be the same person.

On the 1911 census he is with his wife and he is 76 which means he was 79 when my grandmother was born 😱😱

I presumed his wife must have died sometime before my grandmother was born and that his death 3 months before my G grandmothers bigamous marriage was the reason she did marry again.

So I ordered his death certificate in the hope I may get some answers from the informant.

But nooooooooo, the informant was his wife (or rather his now widow) living at the same address.

If you’ve been brave enough to make it to the end of my VERY long post I would appreciate any input 🙈😱

Online Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help me unravel the truth....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello
A bit more information would help ie name of g grandmother, where they were in 1911 and so on. The more family research I do, the more I realise that quite often, things are not straightforward.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Hello
A bit more information would help ie name of g grandmother, where they were in 1911 and so on. The more family research I do, the more I realise that quite often, things are not straightforward.
Jackie

I have to agree with Jackie. Without the name of the lady and her location in 1911 (as well as the address of T H Parish), we have virtually no chance of success.

You can't be sure Thomas Henry Parish (found 1911-1915) is the same person as Henry Thomas (the 1914 father) even though the address is the same.  They could be related in some way.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

G Grandmother:
Sarah Rosa Naomi Nicholson (nee Osburn)
1911 Census - 12 Brunswick Grove, Hessle with her three children (Lucy, George & Elsie) but no husband (Charles)
Some time between 1911 & 1914 the three children went to live with Charles’ family
1914 Birth of Rhoda Thomas Nicholson - 57 Somerscales Street, Hull
1915 (Dec) Marriage to Burton Lamb (as Naomi Nicholson, widow even though Charles didn’t die until 1918) - 13a Humber Street Hull

Thomas Henry Parish:
1911 Census - 57 Somerscales Street, Hull (with wife Martha)
1911 - 1915 Kelly’s Directorys, 57 Somerscales Street, Hull
Death Aug 1915 - 57 Somerscales Street. Informant is his widow Martha, present at death.

Grandmothers birth certificate 1914:
Mother - Sarah Rosa Naomi Nicholson (nee Osburn) 57 Somerscales Street
Father - Henry Thomas 57 Somerscales Street

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 08:31 GMT (UK) »
What information do you have on Charles Nicholson. 
Where / when was he born & what was his occupation.   
Where was he in 1911
What was his cause of death and where was he living at the time
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tigtag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 13:49 GMT (UK) »
What information do you have on Charles Nicholson. 
Where / when was he born & what was his occupation.   
Where was he in 1911
What was his cause of death and where was he living at the time

Charles Nicholson was born on 16th May 1879 in Hull and died on 2nd September 1918 in France & Flanders.

Before subscription he was a rullyman (although I’m fairly sure he ending up owning horses and rullies).

I cannot find him on the 1911 census and aside from the off record there is not much left of his WWI records.

He left what he did have to his three surviving children with Sarah of who his sister Edith Norton became guardian although I do believe that this was before his death.

I have a letter from Charles to his [I think] brother in law which is a little cloak and dagger but pretty much disowns SRN as his wife and mother to their children. He also took out a two day advert in their local paper back in 1906 (pre children) absolving himself of any of her debts so their relationship was clearly turmulous to say the least.

I personally think he’s a red herring in finding her or the real father of my grandmother.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I noticed that the Parishes had a boarder in 1911 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7TW-HLM   I wondered whether Henry Thomas/Sarah Nicolson were simply boarders in 1914??

Does the 1914 birth cert list Henry Thomas's occupation??

Kay

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the information on Charles, it helps put things in perspective  :)

What information does your grandmothers birth certificate give on Henry Thomas's occupation.  Who was the informant. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 15:09 GMT (UK) »
tigtag,

Did Thomas Henry Parish leave a will? Just wondering, in case an illegitimate child was provided for within his will (if he had one).

Is it possible that Sarah might have sued your grandmother's biological father (or his estate) for support? I'm wondering how you would find out; either through newspapers or court or bastardy orders held somewhere (if they exist)?

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters