Author Topic: Catherine Brennan, emigrated to Australia on the Kapunda 1875  (Read 4681 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Brennan, emigrated to Australia on the Kapunda 1875
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find out more about my great grandmother, Catherine Brennan. She was born around 1848 (she seems to have given a variety of birth dates as it suited her) in Mullingar, County Westmeath. Her father Dennis (or Thomas or Patrick) Brennan was a schoolmaster, although when  Catherine married, she signed with a cross, so presumably never learnt to write. Her mother was named Catherine or Margaret and her mother's maiden name was Falt, Kensley, Newman or Lennon (there are several schools of thought, as you can see). My great grandmother Catherine travelled from Mullingar to Belfast where she got free passage on the Kapunda (which later sank in 1887 with great loss of life). But Catherine's voyage was successful and the ship deposited her at Townsville in Queensland in November 1875. There she met my great grandfather William Turner and they married at Millchester, Queensland in April 1876. She was a Catholic but they were married under the rites of the Presbyterian Church. They died together in a house fire on a property near Lockhart in NSW in 1908 and sadly are buried in separate parts of the local cemetery, her in the Catholic section and him in the Anglican section. We know a lot about the Turner side of the family but as you can tell, the background of Catherine remains largely a mystery despite our best efforts. Any help would be gratefully received. Geoff Turner

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Brennan, emigrated to Australia on the Kapunda 1875
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 04:43 GMT (UK) »
I see that her NSW death registration does not give parents’ names. Were there no parents on her marriage certificate?

How have you come up with all the names you have in your post?

As per Rootschat policy, you need to remove your email address.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Geoff.

I hope you can find what you are looking for here.  I can't help but now that you have made 4 posts, you can use the Private Messages system (that little green square under your name in the post) to give out your email address to those who might need it.  (Might be a good idea to take it out of your on-air post - not really recommended)

OOps - Jamjar posted while I was typing.

Cheers,   Wiggy
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 04:48 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I have removed the email address. Dennis Brennan and Catherine Newman are from the marriage certificate. The other names are from baptism certificates for girls of the same name born around that time.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certs are the most reliable, as it is the parties involved who provide the information. Of course there are those who tell porkies, at time of marriage.

I see that she was 25 when she arrived and 60, in 1908. So, birth 1848-1850.

What age is on the marriage cert?

Did they only have one child? 1877 C2800 James Ransville Turner parents William and Catherine Brennan   

Have you connected this name to William’s side? Ransville

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 05:28 GMT (UK) »
Marriage certificate in 1876 says 22yo. That would make birth date about 1854 but I think it likely she was fudging a bit there, as you say. Roots Ireland has a Catherine Brennan baptised at Mullingar on 11 Nov 1847, daughter of Thomas Brennan and Margaret Lennon, which is where those names come from.  They have another girl baptised there 11 Nov 1852, closer to the date on the marriage certificate, but that girl's parents were James Brennan and Catherine Gay. The marriage cert definitely says Dennis Brennan and Catherine Newman. The reports of the deaths in 1908 say both Catherine and her husband were over 60 (i.e. born before 1848), but that may not be reliable.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it does, and also calls them an OLD couple.  ;D

Bottom, 2nd las column: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14913744

Who was the informant on the death certs?

Was William’s age stated correctly on it?

Folks more adept than I when it comes to Irish records will better assist. I’m sure it’s possible that there are missing records, though.

Jamjar

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 05:46 GMT (UK) »
William and Catherine had five children, all boys, one of them my grandfather, who I knew well. I have William's death cert (he was 66) but not hers. James Rounsevell Turner was their first son. The Turner family came to Australia from Cornwall, James Turner and Mary (nee Rounsevell) were the first to make the trip, as free settlers to South Australia. They were Catherine's mother- and father-in-law. A cousin has researched the family and written a small book so we are well-served that way but we just can't seem to get any further with Catherine. Another cousin has even been back to Ireland without success.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes the age on William's death cert is correct. The informant on his death certificate was their second son John. I have another press clipping about the fire which describes them as both "well over 60 years of age", which is one of the reasons I think Catherine's claim to be only 22 when she married in 1876 might be gilding the lily a little.