Author Topic: Help with name in a will of 1638  (Read 395 times)

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help with name in a will of 1638
« on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone help me decode the name in the attached images? It's the wife of a testator in an original will of 1638.

I read the first as "Betteers" and the second as "Bettorers".

The first made me think of an interesting spelling of Betty, but the second has me totally confused.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with name in a will of 1638
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:42 GMT (UK) »
The first example is written Betteris. The second is Betterris. Two different forms of the letter r are in use here, one of which looks like e, so it’s potentially confusing.

A quick search on FamilySearch throws up a few Betteris, mainly in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, East Anglia etc.

Offline sunnylew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 18 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi BookBox,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. It's a Norfolk Will, so fits the coverage you mention.

Now that you say it I can see it. If this were modernised would this then be Beatrice, or Beatrix? Or is Beatrix the latin version of Beatrice>

Just as your reply came through, I made it to the Probate note in latin below and had thought it read "Bettariic" which I took to be Beatrix.
Anything in Hethersett, Norfolk
Buckenham and Variants in Norfolk and Suffolk.
Goodlad in Suffolk.
Palmer in Birmingham

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 November 18 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Just as your reply came through, I made it to the Probate note in latin below and had thought it read "Bettariic" which I took to be Beatrix.

I think this one reads Bettericie. The -icie ending would just be the Latin case-ending used in context in the probate clause.

I expect the name Betteris, like Beatrice, does derive ultimately from the Latin Beatrix, but in transcribing I’d leave it as Better(r)is. Just my opinion.