Author Topic: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851  (Read 4280 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 15 November 20 00:33 GMT (UK) »
 I did finally receive the marriage certificate for Thomas Lennox and Jane Donnison and his father is Thomas. This also confirms that the Maria who died in 1864 in Tadcaster, which ended up being Parlington, was not the correct Maria as her husband was George Lennox. I believe her maiden name was Liverock and she married George in the 1850s (his second wife)/
So we have Thomas' mother Maria in 1861 in Heworth, then she disappears.  Did she die or remarry?
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Lennox, born 1834/5, Ireland, living in Heworth, Durham, England 1851
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 15 November 20 01:39 GMT (UK) »
I have written to the library in Newcastle regarding the death notices for both Jane and Thomas, who lived in Heworth Lane.
Peggy

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 15 November 20 06:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peggy,
When the Newcastle local studies eventually reopens and if my work hours fit (they likely will) I would be happy to look up the notices for you if you can wait.
The library local studies staff have a minimum look up charge of £30.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 15 November 20 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I have written to the library in Newcastle regarding the death notices for both Jane and Thomas, who lived in Heworth Lane.
Peggy

Can't help with Jane's as the Evening Chronicle for 1897 is not yet online but this is the notice for Thomas:

Newcastle Evening Chronicle
26 Oct 1903, page 2 col 1

LENNOX  At his residence, Black Bull, Heworth Lane, 24th inst., aged 68. Thomas Lennox, beloved husband of the late Jane Lennox. To be interred at Heworth on Wednesday; lift at 3.30 Friends please accept this, the only intimation.

As Heworth Cemetery did not open till 1941, he would have been buried at St Mary Churchyard, Heworth.

https://www.gravestonephotos.com  If you search on there , there is a gravestone photo available  they show a thumbnail photo - click the button marked 'request a free image of this monument' and you will get a larger, higher resolution photo.

EDIT I have just looked at the details on the Gravestone site, the list says that Thomas, aged 68 died in 1893  but I still think this could well be the right grave and perhaps the stone was weathered and the transcriber had difficulty making out the death year?
https://www.gravestonephotos.com/public/cemeterylist.php?cemetery=4804&limit=201

click on the GPR ref no to take you to the page where you can request the larger image.

Boo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 15 November 20 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your kind offer, River Tyne Lass. I had no idea there would be such a heavy charge. Since Boo found Thomas' death notice online, I would only need Jane's. And yes, I can wait.
Thank you Boo for Thomas' death notice. Also, the info about seeing the photo. I did manage to see the image which was great to see. This is indeed the correct stone. Thomas and Jane lost many children at young ages which would be heartbreaking.
I can well see that the transcriber could make a mistake about Thomas Sr.'s year of death, as it could look like 1893, although once you know it is 1903, that seems clear.
Thanks again to both of you.
Peggy

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 March 23 22:52 BST (UK) »
On findmypast, there is indexed a death for a Thomas Lennox, born 1802, died 1874, Gateshead, Durham, England. Wondering if this is Maria's husband - she does say married in 1861. Also, on the 1851, there is a Thomas Lennox in Gateshead. This would fit with Maria and Thomas being separated although she says widow. the marriage might even be in England instead of Ireland.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 March 23 23:07 BST (UK) »
There is a Thomas Lennox, who died Nov 17, 1874 in Gateshead Parish, dob abt 1802. Does anyone have access to further info regarding this person?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 10:11 BST (UK) »
There is a Thomas Lennox, who died Nov 17, 1874 in Gateshead Parish, dob abt 1802. Does anyone have access to further info regarding this person?
The images for this cemetery are available to view on Family Search

The burial record at Gateshead East Cemetery says he was 'buried' 17 Nov, so he probably died a day or two before then. His address at the time of death was West Street

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJ4-TVWL?

Boo

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 28 March 23 14:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much Boo. Too bad it doesn’t name anyone related to him such as wife or daughter or father or…….. I will see what I can find, if anything under what the address with Street