Author Topic: Hawker of ... ?  (Read 471 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hawker of ... ?
« on: Tuesday 13 November 18 06:55 GMT (UK) »
This is the marriage certificate for my Great Grandparents Simon Conroy and Bridget McCabe.

I would like to know what his Father (James) is written as a 'Hawker of ..?'

Any ideas appreciated.

In his time, I know James was a basket maker, besom maker, hawker of earthenware and a jobbing labourer.  He and his birth family were Irish travellers.  James sons were coal miners.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hawker of ... ?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Jewelry?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 November 18 09:29 GMT (UK) »
Agree - Jewelry
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your opinions, conahy calling and Gadget.  I did suspect this too but wasn't 100%. 

I have recently been sold on here to the idea of putting postems on freebmd.  I am now in the process of trying to put what information I have on there.  Your clarification on what I suspected has been very helpful and I have now put two postems on Simon & Bridget's marriage entry on freebmd to help others who may also be researching these Great Grandparents of mine.  Pop up notice states this may take up to 24 hours.

I only bought the certificate several years ago when I believed I would not be able to find a record.  I had done a few genealogical favours for a lady who researched regularly at Durham Archives.  She agreed to return the favour by looking up Simon & Bridget's marriage and I let her know where they lived.  After her next visit I was told there was nothing to be found.  So I then sent off for the certificate.  A few months later however, I did get the chance to visit the Durham Archives myself.  Practically, five minutes after getting in I did find the marriage record -  very easily as it turned out.  So the moral of this tale is when someone tells you something is not there, don't always take this at face value. ;D

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner