Author Topic: Marriage/divorce, ny info on Aunty Margaret  (Read 1329 times)

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
Marriage/divorce, ny info on Aunty Margaret
« on: Wednesday 14 November 18 22:45 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little bit stuck and would appreciate help or suggestions. Posting here as not sure where to post multiple queries about the same person.

I'm researching my aunt - Margaret Mary Wilson b 1928 who was estranged for her family for most of her adult life.

I'm trying to find details of her 3rd marriage to a Mr McArthur but have no idea where or when this took place. I'd also love to find anything else that may be available ?divorce records. She was born in Lancashire (have full details) and married twice previously

1. to David Peter Thomas Galloway in Wandsworth Register Office under licence in 1949 (I have the certificate - she was only 20) Interestingly, I think I have found that he married again. She had a son to this marriage who I believe is alive so I will not post details (I have no contact with him).

2. to James Henry Holmes in 1958 in Glasgow (certificate awaited). She had a son to this marriage who died on 31 Dec 1959 aged under 2 years in Glasgow Hospital due to burns (have death cert - family story was this was a scald from boiling water). I have found a corrected entry which suggested there might have been a criminal investigation or at least a coroners inquest - how do I find more info?

Margaret moved and died in Peterborough, we think she may have spent some time in the channel islands at some point.

The 1939 register has the McArthur name and I know she died with this name.

Thanks for any help
Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage/divorce, ny info on Aunty Margaret
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
If her second marriage was 1958 Scotland  - Have you checked Scotlands People for a 3rd marriage

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Who reported her death?  Any clues there?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
There are 2 male McArthur deaths in Peterborough who do not appear on the 1939 using the birthyears given on their death reg

Donald b 11.2 1925 died 1995 and Edward b 31.3.1919 died 2002

2 birth matches for Edward and 2 for Donald on SP
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 18 05:26 GMT (UK) »
"James Henry Holmes in 1958 in Glasgow (certificate awaited). She had a son to this marriage who died on 31 Dec 1959 aged under 2 years in Glasgow Hospital due to burns (have death cert - family story was this was a scald from boiling water). I have found a corrected entry which suggested there might have been a criminal investigation or at least a coroners inquest - how do I find more info?"

Did this take place in Dennistoun?

I think if anything there may have been an entry in the local paper(s) & hopefully someone can help out on that aspect?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 November 18 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Wow I go to bed and wake to replies. Thank you.

The sons death did take place in Dennistoun - Galasgow Royal Infirmary to be exact. Any info on this would be amazing

I haven’t seen her death certificate but believe she died in 1998 and Mr McArthur predecessor her.l I expect the informant to be her surviving son.

I have checked SP and Ancestry for her 3rd marriage but couldn’t see anything that seemed to match.

I’ll chase up the two possibilities for her third husband this evening, thank you.
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Smith in Glasgow
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 18 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick note...

"I have checked SP and Ancestry for her 3rd marriage but couldn’t see anything that seemed to match"

You will not find any BMDs on Ancestry or any other site for Scottish records unless they've been uploaded.

You may find transcriptions or info. on others trees (which would need verified) with relevant docs.

The only place to purchase them is through scotlandspeople.gov.uk at very reasonable cost.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 15 November 18 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick note...

"I have checked SP and Ancestry for her 3rd marriage but couldn’t see anything that seemed to match"

The only place to purchase them is through scotlandspeople.gov.uk at very reasonable cost.

Annie

Thanks Annie,I am aware of that and referred to Scotland’s people as SP.
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Smith in Glasgow

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 November 18 12:13 GMT (UK) »
You may want to consider buying a copy of her death cert to see who reported her death.  If it was Mr McArthur then you will at least get his christian name.  If another relative it could give a starting point. 

There are no guarantees that somebody related to her reported her death.  I have checked and there is no probate entry for her

Death registered February 1998 Peterborough   Register number B61G. District & sub district 3351B

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 November 18 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Carole, I am almost positive that Mr McArthur died before Margaret and the person registering her death will have been her son - she came back into the family for a couple of years before she died and my father attendee her funeral. After her funeral all contact was lost again with her son.
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Smith in Glasgow