Author Topic: Murison Fraserburgh  (Read 1825 times)

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murison Fraserburgh
« on: Friday 16 November 18 10:38 GMT (UK) »
I have a George Murison born 1804 who was the son of George Murison and Elizabeth Murison but do not think they ever married, does anyone have any info- George junior, died in 1873 and he was married to Susan Burnett, he was gt.gt. grandfather

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murison Fraserburgh
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 November 18 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I note 4 possible marriages on SP, I just wonder if the name has been transcribed incorrectly?

MORISON   GEORGE   ELIZABETH PIRIE   31/08/1804   Turriff

MORISON   GEORGE   ELIZABETH ELRICK   06/06/1801   Aberdeen

MORGAN   GEORGE   ELIZABETH MILNE   16/01/1791   Lonmay

MORISON   GEORGE   ELIZABETH BATCHIE   26/01/1786   Aberdeen

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 November 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Doesn’t his marriage or death certs give his mother’s maiden name?

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 November 18 17:45 GMT (UK) »
I have a George Murison born 1804 who was the son of George Murison and Elizabeth Murison but do not think they ever married, does anyone have any info- George junior, died in 1873 and he was married to Susan Burnett, he was gt.gt. grandfather
I assume that you have George Jr's death certificate, that you got his parents' names from that, and that his mother's name is shown as 'Elizabeth Murison' not as 'Elizabeth Murison m s Murison'?

If so, then you are right, George and Elizabeth were not married to one another.

I note that the SP index says that he was aged 69 when he died in 1873, and that his was the third death registered in 1873. Therefore he must have died in the first few days of 1873. He would almost certainly not have had his 1873 birthday, when he would have turned 70. So it is far more likely that he was born in 1803 than in 1804, assuming of course that whoever registered the death got his age right. And there isn't a record of a baptism that could fit, unless it's the one with father George Murison, no mother named, in Fyvie in 1808.

All the censuses (transcriptions at https://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl) say he was born in Fraserburgh. The best chance of finding out anything about his parents is to try the Fraserburgh Kirk Session records. If either George Sr or Elizabeth was a member of the Church of Scotland, the KS would have got wind of her unmarried pregnancy and would have summoned her to be disciplined. This involved telling them who the father was, and summoning him to be disciplined with her. The KS records can sometimes be quite revealing.

The surviving KS records are in the National Records of Scotland, the volume you want being catalogue reference CH2/1142/7. These records have been digitised, but are not (yet) available on Scotland's People. You either have to go, or get someone to go on your behalf, to the Historical Search Room in Edinburgh, or to one of the local archives that has access to them (Aberdeen, Hawick, Inverness and Glasgow that I know of, and there may be others).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jrocket

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 November 18 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your input.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 November 18 21:15 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate for George Murison, d 1873, explicitly states that he was illegitimate, so I think it's safe to assume that his mother and father never married each other. Father is George Murison, labourer, mother Elizabeth Murison, domestic servant. The death was registered by his son, George Murison.

I have a bunch of Murison/Murrison/Muirson/Muirison/Morison/Morrison in my tree, and they have proved particularly challenging to track down because of the variation in spelling of the name. I think you're going to struggle to find out anything more concrete about parents George Murison and Elizabeth Murison - neither of George Jnr's parents appear in census records with him, nor can I find either of them obviously in Fraserburgh. Both could have married others, and the occupations are so common, that it's going to be difficult to find them.

The baptisms of George Murison and Susan Burnet(t)'s children may reveal some other family members as witnesses - but I can't find any of them either, so either the baptisms weren't recorded or haven't survived, or the family weren't members of the established church.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 November 18 11:45 GMT (UK) »
One of the most famous sons of Fraserburgh - and he was intensely proud of being a native of the "Broch" - was the late David Murison, editor for thirty years of the Scottish National Dictionary.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-david-d-murison-1280851.html

Harry