Author Topic: Patrick Muldoon  (Read 501 times)

Offline Aggie69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Muldoon
« on: Friday 16 November 18 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for info on my 3x  grt grandparents Patrick Muldoon and Martha Quin.
They married in 1849 in Co Tyrone Ireland and I believe moved to Scotland in 1851, well that`s the first census I can find, at this point they lived in Bo`ness West Lothian Scotland. Unfortunately Patrick`s death certificate has no parents names on it, Martha has a father who was Arthur Queen(Quin) but mothers name is unknown.
I have my suspicions as to poss parents as I have other certificates of other relatives but absolutely nothing concrete !
Can anyone help !!!!!

Agnes Muldoon Friel

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Muldoon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 November 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Agnes

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just a couple of suggestions that might help you with further info.

I assume you have their marriage year and place from one of their children's birth certs. If you haven't already, it certainly worth looking at the birth reg of their daughter Agnes (b. 29 December 1855 BO'NES). Surname on the index spelt Mildoon. The first year of official registration in Scotland and BMDs ran over two pages of the register for one year, with lots of additonal info. For birth certs, it should include date and place of marriage (which you have), normally includes age and birth place of parents, how many children they had (alive/deceased, girls/boys).

If they followed naming pattern for their children (the Scottish and Irish often did in some form, see for example www.halmyre.abel.co.uk/Family/naming.htm) it is worth looking at the names of their children for possible clues to grandparents' names. All birth looks to be in Bo'ness:

Patrick born 1850 (from 1851 census)
John b. 1852
Catherine b. 1854
Agnes/Anne b. 1855...Agnes in birth reg and Anne in christening
Mary b. 1857
John b. 1859...Likely first John died?
Margaret b. 1861
Peter b. 1863....the name is a common variant of Patrick. Did first Patrick die?
Charles b. 1864
Mary b. 1866...Likely first Mary died?
James b. 1868
Mary Ann b. 1870

Important family names were often repeated following the death of a child with that name.

There are three RC christenings for John, Catherine and Anne on the Scotlands People's RC registers. If you haven't already, might be worth checking to see whether any family surnames show as godparents.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aggie69

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Muldoon
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 18 03:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi
thank you for your reply. I do believe that the names are repeated in this family. I have also found a John Muldoon who I think is the Patrick Muldoon`s brother but unfortunately I haven't found concrete evidence as yet! His parents were Patrick Muldoon and Catherine Hamill, again the same names are repeated in his family to.  I will keep looking and hopefully find that missing link.

I will also try some of the things you have suggested, many thanks for your help.

Agnes