Author Topic: Smith birth 1826 St Johns Westminster  (Read 1981 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Smith birth 1826 St Johns Westminster
« Reply #18 on: Monday 19 November 18 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Ann’s husband George Main was 40 b Somerset in 1851 (Westminster): HO107/1480/84/70.

Possible death: George Main aged 50, Jun qtr 1859 Westminster.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 19 November 18 21:03 GMT (UK) »
hello all
Sorry I am not ignoring your comments, in between work trying to digest all the possibilities!

So IF my Edward William Smith is the one that went on to  "marry" Ann Main:
1851 he is with Mary Ann (Todd) at Millbank with daughter Mary Ann Elizabeth and cousin Sarah.
1851 Ann main is with her husband George and children Thomas, George and Charles at Upper Crown St.
1852 Emma born ...dies 1854
1855 Ellen born ... I know she survived, she's my g-grandmother.
1857 Edward Charles born ... dies 1857
1858 james born ... can't find him!

Mary Ann dies? I found a death in Q1 1860 Westminster ages 33.   Are any burial records available for this area??  ... or I will order death cert.

1861  Edward living with Ann (Main) at 39 Charles St with her 2 children George and Mary A. ... he now shows born Southwark which fits with the baptism found.
1861 Ellen is 6 and living with her aunt and uncle, the Kings in Croydon.
1861 there is a Mary Ann aged 12 living with Sarah Smith (54) at 29 Grey Coat St ... a big maybe.

1871 Edward and Ann at 14 Johnson St with children Agnes C and Elizabeth
1881 Charles??? W and Ann at 14 Johnson St with same two daughters
1891 Ann Smith (widow) with Elizabeth at 8 Farrington Place. (also Agnes C HOOD, married daughter living in same address with husband and baby)

I know this is all a big IF.

Any burial records in Westminster for Mary Ann 1860, or children Emma 1854 or Edward Charles 1857?
Thanks again
Heather

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Mary Ann Smith death in 1860 age 33 does look a good match. With the usual caveat regarding the Smith name.
But I haven't seen an obvious burial record for her.
The Edward Smith - Ann Main marriage that should have happened prior to the 1861 census is also proving somewhat elusive. Son James Smith not with them in 1861.
It is all rather hanging on James' baptism record, with mother being Mary Ann, and the date of birth fitting the June 1858 birth reg.
If avm has found one or two marriage records showing Edward William as a coal porter, that is also good.
But, yes, it is all a big if.
Should it all work out then the Southwark baptism does look promising. Can you link Sarah from 1851 in there?
John

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I still can’t get in to see any records.

Does “cousin” Sarah Smith from 1851 match the Sarah Smith who has a Mary Ann with her in 1861?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:51 GMT (UK) »
The Sarah in 1851 is cousin aged 35 Unmarried born St Johns, in 1861 its a Sarah, head , widow  aged 54 from Margate!!! So probably too far out to be our cousin Sarah.. but saying that I'm having trouble finding her.

Have just ordered the PDFs for Mary Ann death 1860, Edward Charles death 1857 and birth of Agnes Christabel 1865 where the maiden name is given as Dale. Let's see if any of those throw up any more confirmation.

Thanks again
Heather

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:00 GMT (UK) »
CANCEL this one... this is the son of Henry Augustus Smith and Sarah Fish born London City 1861....In 1871  have just found Henry F Smith aged 10, living at the Almshouses, Rochester Row with his great-grandmother, Elizabeth Fish from Plymouth. He was missing from the parents home in 1871. This family like to share the kids around!!

BUT there is a death of Henry Francis in 1864 aged 2.

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 08:55 GMT (UK) »
HOORAY ....I knew Johnson Street rang a bell!

Just fished out the marriage certificate of Ellen SMITH to James SMITH (yes!!!) in 1876 at St John the Evangelist when she says her father is Edward William Smith, carman, and her address is 14 Johnson Street. One of the witnesses is Emma Dale.

So that links The Edward and Ann to the Edward and Mary Ann so I feel able to safely proceed back from his baptism in St Saviour Southwark on 17 Dec 1826. Parents Edward and Ann of Green Dragon Court, father's occupation carman. Born 24 Aug 1826.

Thank you to avm, jon, Dundee and Eyesee for all your time and help, this forum can always be relied on x
Heather