Author Topic: Reason Of death  (Read 640 times)

Offline baggsy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reason Of death
« on: Sunday 18 November 18 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
A relation of mine  passed on a lot of information before he passed away, including reasons of deaths, times and place of deaths of some of our joint relations. but I still have a lot of tree to research and wonder if anyone can tell me if the only way to find these finer details is to purchase death , marriage certificates which will cost an absolute fortune. I am trying to put a diary/story of family together to include as many details as possible as well  I have only used free bmd and a pay as you go on Ancestry in the past , do you get more details if you pay a subscription?
Many Thanks in advance for any help you might have.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Reason Of death
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 18 00:50 GMT (UK) »
Cause of death will only be found on the death cert.  There may possibly be a report in the local paper if the death was by accident etc

Actual date and place of death will also only be found on the cert unless there was a pre-1996 probate entry which often gives that info but not guaranteed

Probate entries from 1996 show date of death but not place
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:00 GMT (UK) »
If it was a 'natural' death (ie from illness) you would need to get a death certificate.  You can guess at some deaths, such as  where there was an epidemic and a large loss of life, for example the Monkwearmouth cholera epidemic of 1831-2 is fairly well documented.    Some accidental deaths can be found in newspaper archives and parish records.  For example I found details of the death of one of my ancestors in the Norfolk PRs - he had been killed when a tree-trunk rolled off a passing cart.  There are also extensive records of deaths of people who worked in coal mines too such as http://www.dmm.org.uk/misc/famhist.htm  for the Durham area.  There are similar sites for other areas of the country.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:09 GMT (UK) »
From General Register Office

Births 1837 - 1917 and deaths 1837 - 1957 PDF files available for £6.00 with all relevant details on. Ready to download in about a week.

Cheapest way to get the info other than finding people who already have the certs. who will share info/certs. with you.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 18 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Check on FreeBMD that someone hasn't already done a "postem" next to the cert you're interested in.

If you're lucky they've put all the details down.Sometimes people just put the bare minimum.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 November 18 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sometimes you can find a cause of death in the burial registers but this is rare.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 November 18 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Gravestones usually have full date of death, sometimes date of birth too. 19th century gravestones sometimes say where the person died, and sometimes how they died if they were killed in an accident or drowned.

Burial Registers indicate where someone died, the more recent ones giving the full address. The burial date will be three to ten days after the death date usually.