Author Topic: William Hutchins convict  (Read 1773 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: William Hutchins convict
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Something to keep in mind is that there was more than one William Hutchins transported to Australia. The Hutchins that I'm researching was transported for 7 years. Also, by 1826 the surname, possibly through a spelling error, had got changed to Hitchens.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37072080?searchTerm=%22william%20hitchins%22%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20&searchLimits=l-state=New+South+Wales|||sortby=dateAsc

The relevant paragraph is at the bottom of the second column, just above the heading "Liverpool Police".

As for his parents, I haven't found them yet.  Although William Hutchins' native place is given as Lymington doesn't necessarily mean that he was baptized there.

RE : changed to HITCHENS by 1826 ...  Sorry,  I have not found any likely sighting for a William HITCHENS per the Adamant, in any of the usual reliable convict indexes...

RE : Lymington ... from your records, what denomination was he?  red post ... I agree, with Debra, Lymington HAMS is from my offline resources, based on records held at NSW Archives.  You need to inspect these to determine if the written word is Lymington or if it is Leamington and how it is written on each of the other official records too. 

RE : that second Cert of Freedom ... yes, same man, same ship of arrival details, he had a colonial conviction, Windsor Quarter Sessions

JM 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:41 GMT (UK) »
 :D

I am attaching a snip for consideration ... this is in the handwriting of the clerk handling the issuing of Certs of Freedom in the Colonial Secretary's Offices, Sydney.    I read it is Lymington.  Others may read it as Leamington.  The 'y' tail becomes lost in the capital 'L' of labourer.

Of course, other official records for this convict may have recorded his native place as some other location altogether different from this entry.   :)

JM

ADD .... I see that Ancestry has transcribed it as Lemmington ...  ::)  ::)  ::)

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline clancam37

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 19 November 18 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Hullo again majm,
Tasmania (VDL) was  part of the Colony of NSW in 1828.
Would you like any searches for William HUTCHINS here in Tasmania?
Regards
clancam37
:D

I am attaching a snip for consideration ... this is in the handwriting of the clerk handling the issuing of Certs of Freedom in the Colonial Secretary's Offices, Sydney.    I read it is Lymington.  Others may read it as Leamington.  The 'y' tail becomes lost in the capital 'L' of labourer.

Of course, other official records for this convict may have recorded his native place as some other location altogether different from this entry.   :)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:03 GMT (UK) »
thank you Clancam37 .... I am sure the OP will appreciate assistance from all, but I am confident this convict was in Sydney and surrounds, and did not venture far ... Bathurst and Argyle (Goulburn) seem to be his furthest until at least December 1836 and that second CF. 

If you have spare moments, please cast your eyes over the thread, fingers crossed your fresh eyes will see something we have not yet considered.

JM

Offline ronsaghey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Regarding my Trove post,  New South Wales, Australia, Convict Records, 1810-1891 for William Hutchins on Ancestry.com. au in the category Alphabetical List of Convicts, Title List of Non-Artificer Prisoners, 1822 shows that on September 11, 1824, William Hutchins of the Adamant was assigned to Mrs. Eyres of Parramatta.  The Trove article says that William Hitchins, servant to Mr. Eyre, was charged for being abusive to his mistress, and was sentenced to spend 14 days on a treadmill. The newspaper was a little off on the spelling of the names so maybe that where the spelling change came in.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Two treadmills in Sydney Town in that era.

http://users.tpg.com.au/shammell/carters.htm

ADD
https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/ref/nsw/biogs/NE01682b.htm

http://www.convictcreations.com/history/punishments.html  notice the comment about used for punishment for insolance   ;)

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 01:09 GMT (UK) »
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/37072080  Australian 30 Aug 1826
Parramatta Police ..  William Hitchins, servant to Mr. Eyre, charged with being abusive to his mistress, was ordered to try a fourteen days  tour on the tread-mill.

Likely that would be John EYRE who arrived per Friendship (2) in 1800. His wife arrived as Ann BRAILEY, per Hercules.   He died Liverpool hospital aged 72 in December 1831.  Buried by Rev Cartwright,21 Dec 1831.  Burial registered St Lukes C of E, Liverpool. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 01:17 GMT (UK) »
So it seems that  your William
was assigned to EYRE at Parramatta in Sept 1824, and then
I can see him as back with RENNALL at Liverpool in 1825 Muster and then
you can see him as back with EYRE in August 1826 ... and then
I can see him up at Bathurst in 1828 ...

I cannot find him as HITCHENS anywhere. Where do you see that spelling? 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 01:34 GMT (UK) »
   :)
another sighting.

William HUTCHINS per Adamant is listed in the Weekly Transportation Entrance Books for the Phoenix Hulk.  This is likely to do with a colonial sentence judging by his then recorded age of 30.   While Ancestry has uploaded a series of digital images, this is in partnership with NSW State Archives, and is the microfilm made in 1973 and available at NSW archives, Kingswood and likely at SAG too.
JM