Author Topic: Look Up Marriage Request - John Conroy 1875- Durham Archives  (Read 1097 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look Up Marriage Request - John Conroy 1875- Durham Archives
« on: Monday 19 November 18 16:19 GMT (UK) »
If anyone is going to the Durham Archives would you mind doing a look up for a marriage for a John Conroy to a Margaret Hines in June quarter 1875.  His father was James Conroy.

The family church of the Conroy family at that time was Our Lady & St Joseph RC, Brooms.  I know that his brother James married there.  My Great Grandfather's marriage certificate shows that he married there and his Father James' death is on death registers there. 

So would anyone mind checking this church, if they have time?  I think it may well be likely that the marriage of John  may be there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look Up Marriage Request - John Conroy 1875- Durham Archives
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 17:58 GMT (UK) »
Just to add .. I have just found out that one of the daughter's of John and Margaret seems to have been baptised at the Roman Catholic Church at Esh, in Lanchester .. so this may have been where John and Margaret married.  I think it will have been likely at one of these two mentioned Churches - if any one might be kind enough to look this up for me this would be much appreciated.

I would happily do a look up for you if you need it at Tyne and Wear Archives in exchange. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 16:18 GMT (UK) »
The chances of me getting to the DRO are fairly remote sadly.

However Broom RC Register Images are on Family Search and are accessible to view from home.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/720895?availability=Family%20History%20Library

They aren't searchable but you can firkle around the images like we do on the BTS

I've looked through the marriages for the relevant time frame and sorry, there is no marriage for John and Margaret, though do check for yourself too, just to be sure. You, hopefully, may find some others of interest and they have baptism and funeral registers too.

I checked at the FHC today but they don't have marriages at Esh for the relevant time frame.

If you can think of any other possible churches I can have another look next time I go.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,

This was really kind of you to have a go at this for me. :)

How do I access the images?

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
If you click the link I posted any line that has a camera icon on the right side means there are digital images of the micro film.

Click on the camera icon, that will load the images  as thumbnails and you can firkle around from there

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Boo,

I have found the camera icon and have tested this.  It works.  Just quickly I have found burials and baptisms.  I am just off to work on bus but when I get more time I will have a good firkle around and see if I can find anything.

Thanks very much .. I didn't know the Brooms registers were on there. :)

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 10:26 GMT (UK) »
The LDS are still a long way from getting all the records they previously only held on microfilm converted into digital images, but its a massive task and more and more become available each month. Depending on the agreement they have with the record holders sometimes they can be seen by the general public from any computer. If there is a key symbol by the camera icon that generally means that unless you are a church member they are restricted to being viewed at an FHC.

To see what , if anything, they have for Broom
I went to Search: Catalogue and put Broom in the place name and chose England, Durham, Broom from the pop up list of place names and clicked to search

Firkling around the results shows that they haven't yet digitised all the RC records they hold, but they have done the time frame you were looking for.

The above can be done for any place name/ film number from an indexed entry. May not get such good results, but its always worth a shot.

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 February 19 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Boo, this is just an update and to say thank you for the link and advice re accessing the images shown on FamilySearch and how to find out what is available in specific areas.

You are right that John is not at the Brooms Church.  I think the other possible Church he may have married at may have been the RC one at Esh as a daughter was baptised there.  I know the marriages at the family history centre for that Church don't cover that period when John married.  I hope a RootsChatter going to the Durham Archives might be able to check this out for me.  However, it is not urgent and if no one comes forward I will just add this to my list and do this myself when I can next get there myself.  Likely probably won't be for a good while yet.  Due to work/family commitments Tyne and Wear Archives is the one I can more easily access.

Anyway, I have been firkling Boo after you posted the link and found it very interesting to see my Great Grandparents Simon and Bridget's marriage and also his brother James marriage to Rose. I have seen these before at the Durham Archives and I do have the marriage cert for Simon and Bridget but it was great to see them amongst the records all the same. :). I also came across some other McCabe ancestors which was great and will be adding the info to my records.

Thanks for letting me know how to access the images.  I have a tree up and use this site regularly but I am still a bit of a dinosaur in knowing what can be done.  So I feel you have opened another door for me, Boo.  I am also thrilled today because I have just been sent an email from Family Search and they have provided a link showing some marriage original image documents for some of my ancestors, which I knew nothing about. What a marvellous site this is .. I would recommend this to everyone.

I will be carrying on with the firkling Boo, to see what other treasures I can find.   :) Your posts have been very helpful to me even though I still do not know about John's marriage as yet.  I still live in hope though.  ;D

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 February 19 14:27 GMT (UK) »
It can be time consuming to page through, but its a lot less time and effort than travelling to the archives (and a lot cheaper !) Being able to save the images to my computer is just wonderful.

Pleased its helped you and its sounds like you've found a few that are of interest.
Finding the 'how and where' to look is half the battle :-)

If you have index records that you don't yet have the images for, its really worth noting the film number they were transcribed on. Check to see if that film has been digitised and you may be lucky. Even if the film is still showing a film reel, once you are sure which parish, go back and search by the place name - 'sometimes' they have more than one film number for the same registers and t'other one 'may' have been digitised.  I check like that , just on the offchance.

Boo