Author Topic: Henry Gooch mentioned in "The Governesses: Letters from the Colonies, 1862-1882  (Read 980 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi people,

having just ended a discussion on various Gooches in Australia, I suddenly find myself
looking at another, separate case.

The book listed in the title has revealed to me this tantalising little clue:
[start]
Henry Gooch, spirit merchant, died on 24 March 1862, at Melbourne Street, East Maitland,
aged fifty-three. he was born in Norfolk, England, the son of Henry Burton Gooch, spirit merchant,
and Mary Ann Reed, and had lived in New South .....
[end]

He is very definitely the son of Captain John Burton Gooch's brother Henry Burton Gooch
and therefore a cousin to those folks we were pursuing in Sydney a little while ago.

Can anyone get me an expanded glimpse into that book so that I can see what else it may say about him?

Alternately can anyone give me a bit of data on his life in Australia from other sources?

This is the data I have on him from England so far (via FamSearch):
[start]
Henry Gooch
Christening Date   25 Jan 1818
Christening Place   SAINT BOTOLPH WITHOUT ALDERSGATE,LONDON
Birth Date           21 Jul 1811
Father                     Henry Burton Gooch
Mother                  Elizabeth
[end]

Cheers
-David C

Online Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Gooch mentioned in "The Governesses: Letters from the Colonies, 1862-1882
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 02:54 GMT (UK) »
I had a look at the trove.nla site (free) and there are several references to Henry Gooch incl 1854 NSW Government Gazette re Spirit Merchants in Maitland.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Gooch mentioned in "The Governesses: Letters from the Colonies, 1862-1882
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 03:09 GMT (UK) »
 :)

Not yet sure if I have 'your' chap so the following is speculative and only gleaned from my armchair today, so it is not in any particular order ...

Church of England baptisms recorded in the St James parish register
- Born 5 August 1837, baptised 1 October 1837, by Rev Robert Cartwright . 
Mary Ann Christina, daughter of Henry and Mary Ann Christiana GOOCH, Sussex St, Sydney.  Henry’s occupation : Settler.
- Born 9 June 1839, baptised 11 August 1839, by Rev R T Bolton
Henry Mansfield, son of Henry and Mary Christina GOOCH, George St Sydney.  Henry’s occupation : Gentleman.

And, there's a Mr Henry GOOCH arrived per Orissa, 20 Jan 1836, Cabin Passenger, a Settler. 

Also, from a book which is likely also available on CD:
Gooch, Henry M., and Co., Melbourne.
This business of Australian wine merchants was established in 1858 by Mr. Thomas Bear (now of Rockbear, Whittlesea) at the corner of Queen and Bourke streets, and may be regarded as the actual commencement of the Australian wine trade in Melbourne. In those days the business was very small in comparison with what it is now, wine-growing being then in its infancy, and growers having much to learn from experience. Mr. Blake, of the Irrawong vineyard, Hunter River, N.S.W., succeeded Mr. Bear, and he in turn was followed by Messrs. G. W. and T. G. Knight, the former a well-known florist of Sandhurst, and the latter the present Government resident at Port Darwin. These gentlemen made great efforts to push the wine industry, but with no very great success. They were, however, encouraged by being appointed Australian wine merchants to H.R.H. the Duke of Edinburgh, who ordered fifty cases for his own use on board the Galatea ,,,,,,

Sorry,  I don’t have the CD... 

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60507598  Empire 2 April 1862
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60506842
death of Mr Henry GOOCH, aged 53 years, at East Maitland. (which is plum in the Hunter district of NSW, and a fine wine locality still. 
See https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13070753  SMH 11 December 1862 Confirming the son as H.M. GOOCH, Esq of East Maitland  :
Henry Mansfield GOOCH’s death https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/139806588
 GOOCH.—On the 12th May 1905, (from heart failure, the result of an accident), at "Larundel," lrving- road, Toorak, Melbourne Victoria,  Henry Mansfield Gooch, J.P., aged  65 years.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 03:15 GMT (UK) »
oops,  forgot the following live link with quality info to follow up and help confirm or eliminate this Henry...  sorry  ::)
https://www.jenwilletts.com/henry_gooch.htm

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Probate Packet: https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/item/230693
Henry Gooch Date of death 24 March 1862, Granted on 3 May 1862 #Series 1-5351
If interested, you could put in a request to rootschatter Rosball to get a copy on a visit to the NSW archives https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703011.0

Adding: probate notice https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/18687442
In the will of HENRY GOOCH, of East Maitland, in the Colony of New South Wales, gentleman, deceased....
....PROBATE of the last WILL and TESTAMENT of the abovenamed HENRY GOOCH, may be granted to HENRY MANSFIELD GOOCH, the sole Executor appointed by the said will....

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Here is a little biography with a portrait. Henry Mansfield GOOCH. 1891

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/144500396

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 November 18 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all. That's a huge amount of data... more than I thought existed!

I have been wondering whether this Henry Gooch knew that he had a Gooch cousin living in Sydney.
Not likely to be something we could prove through research today. 

It could be that having a relative in a faraway country makes it easier for a person to contemplate migration. Maybe there was a chain of migrations in the early 1800s from this extended family.

It just occurred to me that the migration years are very close: 1836 for this Henry Gooch and sometime just prior to 1840 for his cousin John Campbell Gooch. Is it possible they came out at the same time? Not really important, just curious.

-David C

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 18 07:36 GMT (UK) »
I think its highly likely:
Nov 1844 Sydney Morning Herald lists 2 publicans insolvent: Robert Gooch (Maitland) and John Campbell Gooch (Bathurst). source www.trove.nla.gov.au. Both in the same general area.
shume from Australia
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 18 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Ummmmmmmm .... having been raised in the Central West of NSW and now a long time resident of the area just south of Newcastle,  may I please mention that even today, the distance between Maitland (just west of Newcastle) and Bathurst is not something I would have noted as being in the same general area ... and back in the 1840s,  it would be days and days of travel between the two localities.  There was a more significant factor causing increases in insolvencies....  The economy.  It was coming to terms with the ceasation of convicts (free labour) and the increases in the cost of land (to match the commercial fees being charged for the new colony of South Australia) ... 

According to google maps, the travel time in a car between High St, Maitland and Rankin St Bathurst is more than four hours.

1844 ... would have had to get across the Blue Mountains via to say Windsor and then up the Putty Road to say Singleton and then across Maitland.... with horse and cart ...

But in essence,  yes those two GOOCH chaps may well have known each other in NSW.

JM

I think its highly likely:
Nov 1844 Sydney Morning Herald lists 2 publicans insolvent: Robert Gooch (Maitland) and John Campbell Gooch (Bathurst). source www.trove.nla.gov.au. Both in the same general area.
shume from Australia