Author Topic: Loss of HM Trawler Courtier off Kilnsea 1916  (Read 2607 times)

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Loss of HM Trawler Courtier off Kilnsea 1916
« on: Friday 23 November 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
HI

i'm researching soldiers/sailors killed in WW1 who do not appear to have a local mention on a war memorial.

Would anyone local to Kilnsea know if there is a local memorial to this disaster in 1916? HM Trawler Courtier was sunk by amine off Kilnsea Jan 1916

the name I am loking for is JOHN BARBER

thanks, Avril

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Loss of HM Trawler Courtier off Kilnsea 1916
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 18 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Avril

www.skeals.co.uk
It is The Spurn, Kilnsea & Easington Area Local Studies Group, there is a "contact" button so maybe they can help

good luck
Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile

Offline SimonRoberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 January 22 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Just discovered your message on Rootschat.

John Henry Barber was my great-grandfather. He was born in Durham on 19 Oct 1870, although his family were in Kidderminster, Worcestershire. His father, Abel, was a rug weaver, and I have yet to discover how John came to be born in Durham, as there are no other family links there. John was brought up in Kidderminster.
At the age of 16, John left home to join the Royal navy as a boy entrant, training and serving on various ships all over the world through the 1880s and 90s.
In 1899, he transferred temporarily to the Coastguard, initially being stationed in Faversham, Kent before being transferred to Kessingland in Suffolk.
This is where he met and married my great-grandmother, Catherine Maud Gouldby (13 years his junior), on 9 Jun 1903 and my grandmother, Pleasance Elizabeth, was born on 13 Aug 1904.
John continued as a coastguardsman and was promoted to Petty Officer in 1910 before retiring with a pension of £1 10/-. In 1911, the census recorded him as a Navy pensioner, while Catherine was recorded as a net mender living at Sea View, Cliff Road, Kessingland.
At the outbreak of war, it seems John re-enlisted and after a short period of training, was back at sea on HMS Fiona, a passenger cruiser requisitioned by the Navy as an "Armed Boarding Vessel". John volunteered for minesweeping duties in Oct 1915 and was drafted to the steam trawler HMT Courtier on minesweeping duties. The Courtier was lost off Kilnsea after striking a mine (probably laid by a German u-boat) with the loss of 12 of the 13 crew, the only survivor being Second Hand William John Ash of Brixham, Devon.

John's daughter, Pleasance, married Leonard Wallace Blowers in 1925, who was also lost at sea when his tug, the Aid, was shelled by German destroyers off Falmouth, Devon in 1940. Their daughter, Maureen, was 6 years old at the time. She joined the WRNS at 18 years old and met my father, Gerald George Roberts, Petty officer RN while serving at Portsmouth. They married in 1956 and moved back to Kessingland in 1958, where I was born in 1961.

I bucked the family trend and joined the RAF! No wonder my grandmother hated the Germans....

I hope that's some help.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 January 22 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon and welcome to Rootschat, Avrilw hasn't logged in to Rootschat since October last year. You could sent her a personal message to share information. You do this by clicking on the text icon under her name on the left hand panel.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU