Author Topic: I'd Be Most Interested in Family Historian Comments re Tree Diagram?  (Read 2066 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
I'd Be Most Interested in Family Historian Comments re Tree Diagram?
« on: Friday 23 November 18 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Firstly thank you Rootschatters and Claire who attempted to take eight of the Turner Children from Charles & Maudland Turner (the Daughter of John Hood the Mariner buried Selby 1819), forward two generations.

Despite no local Baptism for George Hood (married Selby 1815), I have long held the view that there may have been some link between the two local Hoods around that time.

I have proven I feel earlier today, that the same GRUBB family (at the top) have married into these two HOOD family lines.

I know the chart is more of a Flow Chart, than perhaps a properly drawn Family History Chart. But it fits together remarkably well with actual event records and Census and perhaps you might also see something more?

Earlier I felt this was a major breakthrough, but learnt never to get too excited!

Ignore the newspaper clip first, but what are your feelings please?

Thank you, Mark

ADDED: I have cut the bottom off accidentally, about a one sentence comment that also George Hood of Selby purchased his Selby, Malt Kiln from John Clarkson of Newport, Eastrington.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'd Be Most Interested in Family Historian Comments re Tree Diagram?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 January 19 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello

Regarding Robert Railton GRUBB of Lund, Yorkshire, England, Great Britain (sometimes shortened to Railton GRUBB, Yorkshire, England, near Beverley) linked to a descendant from my known line from George HOOD of Selby (married Sarah RUSSELL at Selby, Yorkshire, England 1815) via the marriage of Evelyn Hood Marshall to Thomas GRUBB, 1906.

Railton GRUBB had several farms and I managed to obtain December 1874 / January 1875 Sale Particulars of one Farm Railton GRUBB and John Griffin Tenanted.

Before anyone has a fit of excitement, some of the adjoining land appears to be owned by George WOOD.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 February 19 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello All

Firstly thank you Rootschatters and Claire who attempted to take eight of the Turner Children from Charles & Maudland Turner (the Daughter of John Hood the Mariner buried Selby 1819), forward two generations.

Despite no local Baptism for George Hood (married Selby 1815), I have long held the view that there may have been some link between the two local Hoods around that time.

I have cut the bottom off accidentally, about a one sentence comment that also George Hood of Selby purchased his Selby, Malt Kiln from John Clarkson of Newport, Eastrington.

Hello

The diagram attached to my first post, link the same GRUBB family (at the top) to the descendants of the two HOODs:-
John Hood of Selby, Mariner, Buried at Selby 4th April 1819, aged 82.
George Hood of Selby, Married at Selby July 1815, aged 28.

Knottingley Marriage 6th December 1791
George GRUBB and Ann HOOD both of this Chapelry were Married in this Chapel by Banns
John Dobson, Minister
Wits: Elizabth Leake, John Gill and Wm: Dickinson
(Wm Dickinson signs next Marriage also)

Looks like Ann Grubb (nee Hood) died 1840
Ann, Widow of George Grubb, Labourer, Abode Knottingley, Buried 18th March 1840, aged 77 Yrs
[Ann Hood was born about 1763? ]

Knottingley Land Tax 1812, with amounts
Proprietor: George Wilkinson,
Occupiers: Himself, 10
James Knowles, 8
John COOK, 4

Knottingley Land Tax 1813
Frances Crowder, 8
GEO: HOOD, 4 

Knottingley Land Tax 1814
Jas Beaumont, 8
JOHN GRUBB, 4

Jas Beaumont and John Grubb both carry on as Occupiers from 1814 (under the same Proprietor) until about 1820

1851 Census - Pontefract, Village of Knottingley
Aire Street [by the River and joining the lane called "The Island" ]
George Grubb, Head, Marr, 32, Labourer, Born Yorks Knottingley.
Ann Grubb, Wife, Marr, 28, Born Yorks Knottingley.
John Grubb, Visitor, U, 59, Mariner, Born Yorks Knottingley.

Ann, Wife of George Grubb, Waterman, Abode Knottingley, Buried 17th August 1852, aged 28 Yrs

A Seaman's Ticket for John Grubb, Cook, gives Birth Knottingley 1791.
John Grubb apears to have been baptised 1792, Son of George Grubb (no image).

Comments
Interesting, the 1791 George GRUBB and Ann HOOD, Knottingley Marriage?

Also the Geo HOOD 1813 to John GRUBB 1814 onward and also previously John COOK 1812 and beforehand?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 February 19 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Knottingley Marriage 6th December 1791
George GRUBB and Ann HOOD both of this Chapelry were Married in this Chapel by Banns
John Dobson, Minister
Wits: Elizabth Leake, John Gill and Wm: Dickinson
(Wm Dickinson signs next Marriage also)

Looks like Ann Grubb (nee Hood) died 1840
Ann, Widow of George Grubb, Labourer, Abode Knottingley, Buried 18th March 1840, aged 77 Yrs
[Ann Hood was born about 1763]

Knottingley
Baptisms 1762
July 29th Anne Daughter of John Hood

Pontefract 12th October 1761
John Hood and Sarah Thompson, Bh[Bh? or Bth?] of this Parish by Banns
John Hood signed and The mark of Sarah Thompson.
Witnesses John Leak and J Loadsman

J & Jno Loadsman is witness to all four Marriages on that Register page.

----------

I cannot see any Knottingley Grubb link yet, from George Grubb married to Ann Hood at Knottingley in 1791 and the Grubb family linked to the Hood of Selby descendants.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 February 19 01:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I can find no link from George Hood of Selby to the Hoods at Knottingley.

----------

However, when Maudland Hood [born Scarborough and daughter of John Hood of Selby, Mariner, formerly of Scarborough] married Charles Turner, Blacksmith at Selby, Yorkshire, 27th November 1794 the witnesses were:-
John Rodger
Frances Stears [a Quaker]
Mary Ann Prince

----------

However, there is another link between John Hood of Selby, Mariner and my George Hood, Cooper, Brewer and Tanner, the Rodger surname ...

George Hood rented the former business premises of Richard Gibson and Thomas Halliday in Wren Lane from about 1812 per Land Tax (also Wren Lane in Mountain's Directory 1800).

Also sharing George Hood's premises was John Green [see Selby Directory of 1822, Survey of 1823; Lord Petre's Sale Advert of 1835; Deed Registration at Wakefield in 1836].

The 1841, 1851 & 1861 Census confirm John Green was born 1785-1786 and both John Green and his Wife Mary were born Yorkshire Pollington.

The 1841 Census also shows Charles Turner (Widower of Mordland Turner, nee Maudland Hood) living with John & Elizabeth Ardington, next door to the John Green household.

Two sets of documents confirm George Hood owned parts of Wren Lane and at least one corner which fronted Micklegate, Selby, Yorkshire.

Micklegate, in Selby, Yorkshire was also known as Wide Street and had an alias name Broad Street.

----------

The Snaith Registers confirm 10th August 1785 John Son of George Green, Labourer of Pollington, being baptised.  (The other John Green Son of John Green, Wheelwright having died the month before the Baptism and another John Green baptised being of Cowick).

----------

John Green's Parents Marriage apparently took place on 23rd November 1778 George Green, Bachelor to Mary Rodgers, Spinster by Banns, witnesses John Palmer and Sarah Rodgers.

----------

Witnesses to two John Green Marriages at Snaith were John CHESTER and Henry MITTON, two other surname/name associated with George Hood of Selby. Although I have not confirmed John Green's Marriage yet.

-----------

Another link (besides the descendants being linked in the opening diagram in the first post) between John Hood/Maudland Hood, to my George Hood it seems are the Rodger family (perhaps in friendship and business only) but a link.

Mark