Author Topic: Findmypast Family Tree  (Read 1340 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Findmypast Family Tree
« on: Saturday 24 November 18 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I can't find this topic anywhere, sorry if it has already been discussed.

Have any of you put your tree on to Findmypast?  Each time I log on, it's suggested I put my family tree on there.  Also they are pushing their DNA tests too.  I've already had my DNA done with Ancestry, so not about to have another one done, even though FindMyPast states that their results will be more British than Ancestry (stands to reason).

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast Family Tree
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I've tried both and they are much the same for me.

There are two considerations with Find My Past trees.
1) there are less of them so if you are looking for matches they don't spring up and other people are less likely to check them and get in touch.
2) While on Ancestry you get access to your family tree even when you don't have a subscription ,this isn't true for Find My Past.So when your sub runs out so does the chance to look at your tree.

The latter is a big minus for me which is why I prefer Ancestry.
I want to know I can access the info I've searched whenever I want.

Ciderdrinker

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ciderdrinker.  I have my a private tree on Ancestry but only because of doing my DNA with them and hoping for decent matches.  However, I do have a private tree too which is not on line.  I can't really see the point of putting it on FindMyPast as well.  I do have a tree on GenesReunited, but it hasn't been updated for years, I suspect, like most of the trees on GenesReunited.  I don't even know of anyone who uses that site any more.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 18 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I think the tests are carried out by LivingDNA for them, Lizzie.

I've often clicked on the family  tree option by mistake and the person that I was searching for was inserted as a start to my tree. I then had to delete - so a warning to not click on the option by mistake  ;D

Added - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/ancestry-dna-testing/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I did start doing a tree on FindMyPast but I found it a bit "clunky" to use. I finally decided to bin it yesterday.
It seems to me you cannot search trees on FindMyPast like you can on Ancestry even though there is a check box to make your tree a public tree. It states "having a public tree allows you to connect more easily with other trees who share you research and interests". If anyone knows how to search FindMyPast's trees I would be happy to be enlightened.

Venelow
Canada

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all, I'll stick with my off line Legacy Tree and my private Ancestry tree, which I have just in case someone has an ancestor that can lead me to my g.grandfather's origins.  I'm sure I'll still be looking for him when I die, then I'll be able to ask him myself.  ;)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 November 18 22:06 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast's trees are a recent addition and need much development. They seem a lot more clunky than Ancestry's, but both are much inferior to what I work with offline. Ancestry takes about 4 mouse clicks to move from one person to the same view of another in the same family while FindMyPast takes about 10. My offline program takes just a double-click.
FindMyPast does not yet have a "search trees". "Public" means you can send a link to another FindMyPast subscriber. A search might appear in future.
FindMyPast has extra event types for censuses and knows the dates of them, while Ancestry just has "Residence" and only knows the years. FindMyPast can also fill in quite a few occupations from records.
FindMyPast is also better at filling in addresses from records being attached. Ancestry is particularly bad even when the data is available. Their 1939 Register entries, for example, have street addresses in the Record view, but when attached to a person in a tree, just show "<county>, England". Both brands need a lot of editing when adding records from their databases.
If you add an image to an event in a FindMyPast tree, there is no way to see it again. The only thing you can access is a thumbnail. Make sure you keep an offline copy.

Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 November 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your opinions.  I'll stick with my Legacy off line tree which I've used for many years now and find very easy to use. 

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 November 18 08:20 GMT (UK) »
I confess that I've never used FindMyPast family tree, but when it was announced I messaged them (I was a member then) asking why they couldn't use or link to their Genes Reunited trees, a much bigger database (780 million per Wiki) since they're both part of BrightSolid. No reply.

As to no-one using GR any more, it's true that messages have tailed off - but so have those on Ancestry. They claim 13 million members which probably includes those lapsed, but still not bad for a mainly UK-based company. A glance at their message boards shows still some activity.

I keep my tree there for three main reasons: one, that it's much easier to navigate - just one click to move between people, two because it allows cousin marriages without duplication - I have a lot of those, and three because I like to have an online tree in case my PC dies on me, which has happened before. I use this as a provisional tree and export it to Ancestry every so often when I'm satisfied with my additions. Strill under £10 a year last count though they push the pricier versions that allow access to FindMyPast records.

I think that Brightsolid promote FindMyPast rather than GR brcause it's more profitable, and that they may close down GR when it suits them, like they ditched Friends Reunited, so I'll keep exporting my gedcom at regular intervals. That includes my valuable "Notes" but Ancestry doesm't pick those up.

Anyone know of a site that picks up Notes when importing a gedcom?
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)