Author Topic: Findmypast Family Tree  (Read 1339 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Findmypast Family Tree
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 18 08:44 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know of a site that picks up Notes when importing a gedcom?

The only site I know which keeps virtually everything I have uploaded is RootsWeb, which is, unfortunately, read-only at present.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 18 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrew
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 18 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Before I add what I think of FindMyPast trees I will have to admit that I am an embittered previous subscriber to FindMyPast who is smarting over a couple of changes they've made this year.  I've had more annual subs to FindMyPast than to Ancestry.

I felt a little sorry for FindMyPast when Ancestry appeared to be romping ahead with DNA bringing in considerable revenue.  The recent connection to LivingDNA appears to me to be an attempt to try to recover some ground.  However there's one or two things about LivingDNA that just don't sit easily with me.  At times it seems like a lot of hype and a very pretty wife/co-director. 

The FindMyPast trees ARE clunky.  And I'm not impressed with them linking now to FamilySearch trees which can be rather a mess.  I'd like to add some expletives before the word 'mess' but this is a family show.  I have numerous relatives 'watched' in Familysearch trees and every week I receive an e-mail with updates that have been made to them.  Quite often the updates are incorrect.  I've had the unfortunate experience of a relative of mine (beyond 3C) getting obsessed with the details of one of my relatives (his distant in-law) and CONSTANTLY changing them.  They'd reverse every change I made and were insistent that the parents were incorrect.  He'd never met any of them whereas I had. 

A year ago I was a huge fan of FindMyPast but I am not happy with how their website has ceased to work on some platforms (such as my iPad) since April and how they've pulled the plug on being able to view records in 'MyRecords' unless your have a current sub. 

Ancestry and its marketing methods have been blatantly obvious for years.  FindMyPast seemed like the friendly nice guys but actually they're just the same, so they've lost their competitive advantage and it will take one helluva offer to lure me back.

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 18 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Andrew

Thanks for your explanation. So one has to know that someone is a subscriber before one can link to them. That seems strange. I guess they don't want to show the trees because they don't have very many due to the clunkiness factor. Their hints are not always useful. They sent me one where the subject was born 13 years after he died.  Their program should be able to catch stuff like that.

FindMyPast's strengths are in their collections of images of records and their newspaper collection. I have found some world class scandals in the newspapers. Murders, adultery, suicide - my late mother in law would be mortified.

Venelow
Canada
Venelow

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 November 18 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Events after person's death? That's nothing! At least they got the name right. Have a look at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799194.0

Cue "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.