Author Topic: James Gellatly and family  (Read 1586 times)

Offline geejayboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Gellatly and family
« on: Saturday 24 November 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

After recently retiring I am now getting back to researching my family history. I have now looked back at what I had already found and have a few people who have bits missing.

I would like your experience/advice to try and help me resolve the missing dates and places......

I have a Great Grandfather called James Gellatly b 23/8/1869 in Dundee and he married Annie S Geekie on 22/7/1892 in Dundee, but I cannot find anything regarding his death.

Also I cannot find his fathers (also James) b 14/8/1836 ..place of birth, he died on 14/5/1869 in the Dundee Royal Infirmary.

And finally his mother Jessie (ms Muir) married James on 12/11/1861 and died on 15/2/1923 aged 84 in Dundee, but I cannot find anything about her birth

Another issue I have been having is the variants that there are with the Gellatly (The way my family spell it) spellings

As I said previously, any help would be great

Cheers

Gordon Johnston

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Gellatly and family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gordon have you found James b 1869 in the census and do you have Annies death is she noted as a widow

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I see you have already posted information at https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=243672.msg1601353#msg1601353

The first thing you need to do is go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and get a copy of the 1861 marriage certificate, if you don't already have it. This will tell you the full names of both sets of parents including their mothers' maiden surnames.

Once you have that information, tell us the names of the parents and we can see where to go from there. You can use it to look for records of baptisms (there won't be birth certificates because they must have been born before the start of civil registration in 1855).

I see that James b 1869 was with his mother, aged 39, born Lochee, and his grandparents David Muir and Christina, probably Christina Ferguson, in the 1881 census.

How did you get the date of birth for James Gellatly b 1836 without finding his baptism record, which is on Scotland's People?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to your info, Forfarian. None of the children of David Muir and Christian/Christina Ferguson look to have entries for their births or christenings in the OPRs (quite a few going by the censuses for them.  Jessie showing as born c 1841-2 in Dundee.

Relevant registers may have been lost/destroyed for the Dundee parish they lived in. Or the family did not belong to the established Church of Scotland (ie Presbyterian). Lastly, they may simply not have had the children's christened.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:45 GMT (UK) »

Also I cannot find his fathers (also James) b 14/8/1836 ..place of birth, he died on 14/5/1869 in the Dundee Royal Infirmary.

Gordon, is this the christening entry you have for James? From Family Search index

James Gellatly
Birth & Baptism Date - 14 Aug 1836 Dundee,Angus
Parents David Gellatly and Margaret Imrie

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Or the family did not belong to the established Church of Scotland (ie Presbyterian).
Sorry, but the Church of Scotland is only one of several Presbyterian denominations in Scotland, though admittedly most of the present-day ones post-date the baptism of Jessie Muir.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 November 18 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. It is always a muddle trying to explain (in my case....badly!).

Monica

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 November 18 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian. It is always a muddle trying to explain (in my case....badly!).
Yes.

I am just reading a book about the Covenanters, and the more I read about the religious history of Scotland, the less I am able to understand the need for quite so many different religions, let alone the lengths people went to to uphold their version of the 'truth'. 

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 November 18 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Does your Gellatly or Geekie line have any connection to Kettins and the Yoolow/Yulo/Youlo family?
I have the following line - David YOULO/YOOLOW.b.31.3.1743.MilnofPetieKettins. d.3/8.7.1822.MilnofPetie.buried.3.7.1822.
m.4.8.1775Kettins.
Janet GEEKIE.b.4.5.1745.Nether Ballunie Kettins.d.?

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.