Author Topic: hackett marriage in Braunstone?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
hackett marriage in Braunstone?
« on: Monday 26 November 18 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Long shot but could anyone help me find details of a marriage of
 Edward Hackett to Elizabeth (possibly Rawlins) in around 1772 in Braunstone?
I think Edward may come from Somerby?Rutland.Possible son of John and Jane? Hackett but the details i have are sketchy.
Thanks
Hackett, Mills, Hart, Dunn

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: hackett marriage in Braunstone?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
The marriage is as
Edward Hackett of the parish of Solesby in the County of Leicester married Elizabeth Rawlings of Braunston 6 Feb 1772. Marriage witnesses Richard ?Sidney and John Woods, I think John may be a church warden as he signs all the marriages on the page.
Edward and Elizabeth signed by their mark x
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katy K

Willsy certainly seems to have found a good match for your search but there are some anomalies with it.

The record is from Braunston parish in Rutland - not to be confused with Braunstone parish in Leicestershire. In the image the priest has written what looks like "Brarston" but his handwriting is poor, the place probably had various spellings over the years and maybe he wrote the name as it was pronounced locally at the time. Some clerics head each page with the name of the parish but this is not the case with these parish records. Neither is it on the front or rear pages except for a handwritten Braunston on the last page which may have been added years later for all we know.

The record certainly seems to say that Edward was from the Leicestershire parish of Solesby but there is no such parish in Leicestershire. There are several parishes starting with S but none are a close match. If indeed he came from Somerby that is a Leicestershire parish not a Rutland one but it's not far from the Rutland border.

Tony

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 09:10 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering if Solesby might be a misinterpretation of Lowesby, once Loseby, which is 6 miles from Somerby and 8 from Braunston.

David

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Family Search  has the baptism of an Edward Hackett, 22 April 1750, at Somerby, Leics. Son of John and Jane.

Could be him?.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 10:53 GMT (UK) »
The name on the image of the wedding record certainly seems to be Solesby as written by the cleric so your guess is as good as any David but given the baptism in Somerby which seems to tally my guess is that the name was misheard by the cleric and written down as heard.

Offline katy k

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hackett marriage in Braunstone?
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for this.That certainly adds to the bit of knowledge I had. I think I need an old map of the area in question!
Braunston and Braunstone, doesn't make it easy does it?
can anyone tell me the names of the churches that these records might refer to? I'm not very good with East Midlands geography and I'm guessing the boundaries will have changed over the years.
Hackett, Mills, Hart, Dunn

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Katy

I'm not sure what use you'd put an old map to in this context but if you use something like Google Maps you will find Braunston about a mile to the south-west of Oakham the county town of Rutland. The church there is All Saints and it can also be seen on Google Maps.

The other Braunstone, spelled with an 'e' at the end, is south of the city of Leicester and probably some 25-30 miles west of Oakham. I don't think that this has anything to do with your search but in case I'm wrong the local parish C of E church there is St. Peter's.

Somerby, is across the county border in Leicestershire some 3 miles as the crow flies to the north-west of Braunston, making it a very possible home for the Edward who married Elizabeth.

cheers
Tony

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 12:58 GMT (UK) »
You can view an old map here -http://www.oldmap.co.uk/Leicestershire.php

You can't see the whole of it at once but can pan around. Also buy a copy.

Braunston is a very attractive village and Somerby not bad either.

David