Author Topic: where to start?  (Read 769 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
where to start?
« on: Monday 26 November 18 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am a returning researcher after 12 years away from it!

I have a strong desire to finish one piece of the jigsaw (see my post on London board!)

I have a strong hunch that my grandad who was illegitemate was born to a foreign dad - it was the end of the WW1 and many people over the years have commented that both my dad and I have a non British look about us. I would like to do a DNA test to see if I can get any clues as to where my heritage lies abroad. I could be totally barking up the wrong tree here...but I have a strong suspicion towards Eastern Europe/Russia OR Japan but probably the former. I have tried to research this online but it's a minefield. Has anyone got any ideas where to start.

I am female and the only offspring of my dad. My dad is dead. My dad's half brother and sister are alive (although their own dad was Hungarian!!) I have a baby son - don't know if that helps? But HIS dad is 1/4 Czech!

Can someone please point me in the right direction on what kind of test I need - I would like a pointer to a country if possible??

Any ideas welcome!

Many thanks

Alison xxx
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: where to start?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 November 18 22:20 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure others will have suggestions for you but if your maternal ancestry, as far as your paper trail goes, is centered on one area, the UK for example, and your DNA results give you matches with people with Asian ancestry then your assumption may be correct. I don't know how popular DNA tests are in Japan (if you suspect that might be where the father hailed from) - probably not a great uptake I am guessing.  :) You may match with Americans with Japanese ancestry which would give you some indication.

If you took an autosomal test, it would give results for both the maternal and paternal sides of your family. It can be a challenge to work out which match belongs to which side.

Is your mother still alive? If you also asked her, or one of her siblings, to take the test too, you could eliminate those matches you have in common, in theory just leaving the matches on your paternal side.

A lot of people are testing with Ancestry (I tested with FTDNA) but there are other companies as well. I think your timing might be a bit unfortunate as sales are just finishing or have already finished. (I know FTDNA's test was $39 but it finished yesterday  :(). A lot of people on rootschat have taken tests with Ancestry so will be able to advise you further.

Sales do come round every now and then, but presumably there will be delays in getting results due to increased sales.

You have nothing to lose.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 November 18 23:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm already intrigued and will be following your adventures here. I'm already curious about the last 12 years...

I know it is difficult knowing which test(s) to go for, but this week is the bargain week as they are all making good offers, and I would hope they are geared up for the busy season.

Martin

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 November 18 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison , welcome back :)

I think  I remember you from the old days!

I see that you had asked about this back in January and you had quite a few replies:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=785448.0

I expect that you had other things to worry about then but it might be worth you revisiting the replies on there.

If you are looking for matches in various countries, you  could test with Ancestry (largest database at the moment)  and upload to other sites, as many of us have done.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 18:11 GMT (UK) »
You may even be able to find clues to his identity. ..

My mother worked out her mums bir the grandma with help of  DNA

We used Ancestry. .there is a locations  search facility so I can see which Scottish "cousins " originated from a small area near Glasgow  and if any Russian  origins turn up they would be thru nana.s birth father ....

mum has 24% European jewish blood I have 11%

And we found people who linked to her great grandfather on matches by looking at mutual links and via elimination it's possible to work out his surname.

Good luck

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson