Author Topic: Help! Trying to set up a DNA test for my brother  (Read 2864 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Help! Trying to set up a DNA test for my brother
« on: Tuesday 27 November 18 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I need assistance please.

I have just taken delivery of a DNA kit for my brother, who lives a few miles away. I assured him he'd have nothing to do other than spit!

However, I've been online trying to activate the kit. I understood I'd have to use his email address, so entered that in the box but it didn't recognise it. I had to enter my own email address and then hit 'Help activate a kit for another adult' and this has sent an 'activation invitation' to his email. This is what I didn't want to happen - my brother is not one who uses the internet very much at all.

Can anyone tell me exactly what he will have to do from his end to make me his test manager? I'm hoping its pretty straightforward!  ::)

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Trying to set up a DNA test for my brother
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Probably easier to set up a separate email account for yourself and just set him up on a tree as home person
That's what I did with my mother's teSt

For my paternal aunt it was very compicated because she didn't want to do anything on computer and I already had 2 accounts nine the end we put her dna results on my sisters account openin a sepirate tree and then my sister put  me as co-editor but I could only alter tree and see matches but not look actively for surname or location matches ...so now I have passed word to sisters account and go on line as her ....identity fraud with consent !
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
By George, I think I've finally done it!  ::)

Honestly, Ancestry, if you want even more takers of your DNA kits, make it less complicated to set up for a relative who is even more computer unsavvy than me!! I was told it was straightforward - it wasn't!! I'm exhausted!!  :-\ :-\ :'( :'(
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 18 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear ...I felt like that too

I saw all these names where people were administrating for others and juSt assumed it could do any from my own email address

They want separate emails for each person so we.ll all pay to keep our subscriptions open

What.solution did you use in the end ?

We finally worked out how to share trees and administration of them Hope you get  used to it .

Give yourself 2 pats on the back
&
Keep us posted

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Oh dear.
I have one on order for a family member and just assumed that I could easily manage it. I haven’t yet read the instructions though. I was waiting until the kit arrives.
The intended person never uses their email account  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Get them to give you their password and just use that account for dna results

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 04:54 GMT (UK) »
Easiest thing to do is what brigidmac suggested, set up a separate account for tester, but use an email address of your own.

This works very well, the original tester doesn't have to get involved in anything after providing the sample. I did it for my husband.

Ancestry says it is so that each tester has control over their own DNA results. In reality, my husband has no control over and has no interest in his DNA results.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline plk74

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 07:20 GMT (UK) »
I had to do the same as Sugarfizzle, except I used hubby's own email address to which I have password.  I couldn't figure out how to "manage" his DNA either.  But I only have one account active at a time so they don't get double subs - I copied his tree to the new account, then made it private.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 November 18 07:23 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha sugar   
My mum has no control tho she's better on computer than me..but she is interested in the results .

My aunt can't see very well but is happy for me to give her information from my sister hijacked site . My sister can join in
She has  added some photos which I find hard to do .