Author Topic: Changing name by deed poll  (Read 3680 times)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Changing name by deed poll
« Reply #36 on: Monday 03 December 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I think he may have changed his name quite soon after 1947 to avoid the courts...

He may have been at the Old Bailey in 1949. Got eighteen months.

Possibly Desmond Jarvis Salter? The right age

"“GENEROUS PLEA” BY REAL FRIEND
... the Recorder (Sir Gerald Dodson) as a generous plea by a real friend was made at the Old Bailey yesterday on behalf of Desmond Salter, 30, of Hampden-street, Nottingham, who pleaded guilty to obtaining, by means of a forged withdrawal form, £lOO from the  Post Office Savings Bank"

Saturday 15 October 1949
Nottingham Evening Post

Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 03 December 18 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the generous friend was an antiques dealer(?) called Kenneth Greenwood, who had been employing Desmond.
"I feel there is only a hair line between our two fortunes," said Mr. Greenwood, "he was brought up at an orphanage a stone's throw from the public school I attended."

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 03 December 18 22:37 GMT (UK) »
JON YOU HAVE HIM!!! Kenneth Greenwood was a witness to second marriage!! The married couple were living at an antiques shoip in dorchester on thames!! I knew that antique s shop was significant!!

Need a cold shower...
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 03 December 18 22:40 GMT (UK) »
so kenneth greenwood was defending desmond then?
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 03 December 18 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think it all began in Maida Vale. Desmond was a bit naughty and made off with the post office savings account book and identity card of a chap called Alfred Jack Beal.
He tried to withdraw all of the money in Mr Beal's account(!), but instead got £100.

Mr Greenwood made a late plea, offering to take Desmond into his home. But the judge sent Desmond to prison. His address at the time was Hampden Street, Nottingham.
John