Author Topic: What happened to William Baxter?  (Read 551 times)

Offline youngones82

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to William Baxter?
« on: Sunday 02 December 18 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Yesterday I visited my great-aunt who told me her dad had a younger brother who 'went to America and no one knows what happened to him'. So I thought I would see if I can find something. Here's what I do know:

William Baxter was born in Dundee, Scotland in 1903 to David Baxter and Margaret McLeod (m.s. Thomson). He emigrated to New York in 1926, sailing from Glasgow on 6th November.

He married Mary Collins (m.s. Low, born 1905 in Dundee, Scotland) in 1928. Mary had a son, Douglas Archibald Collins b.1927 from her first marriage to Harry Collins. Mary arrived in New York in 1923, along with her mother, step-father and siblings.

On the 1930 Census, William, Mary and Douglas are living in Bloomfield, Essex, New Jersey. Next door were her mother, step-father and family.

On the 1940 Census, Mary is living with her mother and step-father, along with her son Douglas and daughter, Betty Baxter (aged 7). Her marital status is 'Divorced'.

She applied for naturalization in 1941. Her application states that her husband's name is William, he is not naturalized, and his residence is unknown. It also says she has another daughter, Wilma Baxter, born in 1933.

So William and Mary would have separated at some point between 1933 and 1940. I cannot find William on the 1940 Census and I cannot find a record of his death. I also cannot find any military records or outgoing passenger lists that might match William. He doesn't seem to have applied for naturalization.

So can anyone help me find out what happened to William? I would like to be able to tell my aunt who is the last surviving member of the family.

Thanks in advance.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to William Baxter?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 December 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
There was a William Baxter who passed away in 1960 Hudson NJ but looking thru census there was a William Daniel Baxter born 4 April 1903 Hudson NJ - so chances are its the same one that is buried at
Holy Name Cemetery Jersey City, Hudson County, New Jersey - not yours.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 December 18 13:10 GMT (UK) »
New York Passenger List (15 November 1926) for William gives him a middle name - William Duthie Baxter.  William was going to an Aunt Mrs Elizabeth McLaren 86 Richmondhill Avenue, Stamford, Conn.  Father was David Baxter 35 Victoria Road. Dundee.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 December 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »

Montclair, New Jersey, City Directory, 1931 - William D Baxter - 18 Thomas - mechanic -

Montclair, New Jersey, City Directory, 1935 - William D Baxter (tyre worker) - spouse Mary Baxter - Ampere pky.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 18 13:41 GMT (UK) »

William was born 7 May 1903 Dundee Scotland - didn't see his death listed on the SSDI (Social Security Death Index)  which was fully up and running 1962/63 ish.

Sandra