Author Topic: William BETTISON (b abt 1810) Who was his wife  (Read 2137 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
William BETTISON (b abt 1810) Who was his wife
« on: Wednesday 05 December 18 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I have found a William Bettison, born about 1832, described in the 1851 census for Clay Lane, Derbyshire, as nephew living in the household of Jesse Ball.

I am trying to confirm this William's parents. The GENUKI South Normanton Parish Records Marriage transcripts does include the marriage of William BETTISON and Mary BALL on November 24th 1830.

Two questions:

1. Does the actual parish record give any indication as to who Mary Ball was? Jesse Ball had an older sister called Mary.

2. Any idea of what happened to this William and Mary Bettison prior to 1841. William Bettison, the son, is already living in the same household as Jesse Ball in the 1841 census (older sister Mary is absent)

Many thanks

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William BETTISON (b abt 1810) Who was his wife
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 12:49 GMT (UK) »
They are both of this parish at time of marriage, William signed and Mary left her mark, witnesses John Rowe and ?Jermine Gill
The witnesses might prove helpful

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 12:51 GMT (UK) »
This may be a outside chance but 1841 Census has a William Bettison age 30 (1811) living next door to a William Ball and Family in Alfreton, occp Labourer.

1851 he is born Normanton, Derbyshire 1810, under Battison, Married to Jane.
(probably Jane Perkins 1843 possible Marriage FreeBMD)

William Ball in 1851 is born c 1810 South Norm, Derbyshire

F/S has;
MARY Bettison age 33 (1801)   
burial:18 December 1834, South Normanton, Derbyshire

When do you have Mary Ball born?

1841 we have;
Ann Ball 60
Joseph Ball 35
Samuel Ball 35
Thomas Ball 25
John Ball   20
Jesse Ball   20****
Hannah Ball 25
Grace Ball   2
Willm BETTISON, 9, Coal Miner***

But if the William 1810 is yours he would be younger than Mary by 10 years.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks

Hi Jan

The name Gill doesn't mean anything to me. However, I do have an Alice Rowe married to Emmanual Ball in S. Norm in 1858

Hi Trish

That is the 1841 census family in question. I may well have underestimated William Bettison (snr)'s age as that Mary Ball was born about 1799. I have seen that 1834 death notice too which would tie in with this history. Mary did have an illegitimate son - Ezra - sometime before 1820.

Another suggestion which could be pertinent to understanding this whole family is regarding Jesse Ball. I was under the impression that he was Mary's much younger brother (which would have explained the William Bettison nephew relationship). However an oddity appears in the transcript of Jesse's marriage to Mary Eyre where he declares his father to be George Swain.  Mary Ball had a one year older sister called Grace.  The 1861 census for Kirkby in Ashfield shows a George Swain (63 years) and wife Grace Swain  (64) in residence. George was born in South Wingfield; Grace in S. Norm. I haven't found a marriage reference for this couple yet but this could indicate that Jesse was Grace's illegitimate son prior to this marriage.

Is the mud slowly clearing?

Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Is the mud slowly clearing?

I hope so.

Yes I saw that Marriage for Jesse also and was confused by it.

I cant find anything online for the 1843 Marriage to see if William Bettison was widowed.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 13:54 GMT (UK) »

I cant find anything online for the 1843 Marriage to see if William Bettison was widowed.

I've been looking for it too but have also drawn a blank :(
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Hmm .. I might have stirred up the pond again.

Just found this baptism entry (on F/S) for S. Norm:

Patience: daughter of George and Grace Swain baptised March 1st 1823
Hannah: daughter of George and Ann Swain baptised October 4th 1829
George: son of George and Ann Swain baptised June 22nd 1833

Same George? Two Georges?

Alan

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 14:15 GMT (UK) »
There is a South Normanton marriage for George Swain to Ann Norwood 25th August 1828 so could be the same George.

By the way John Rowe is a witness but also witnesses the marriage before so he may be a regular

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 December 18 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly too, The oldest of the three sisters (Grace, Mary) was named Patience (b abt 1797). Surely too much of a coincidence for that 1823 baptism.

But that then begs another question: Where did Grace go by 1829 and is it the same S. Norm Grace who has reappeared in the 1861 census

btw: there is a 2 year old Grace listed in that 1841 census above who is presumably youngest daughter Hannah's child.

Seems Pamela Sharpe was absolutely correct when she mentioned the Ball family in her little 1982 book!!