Author Topic: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.  (Read 4685 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.
« on: Thursday 06 December 18 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I am researching the descendants of this person and I’m finding some difficulty in following him through the census records.

William Stanbury b.1796 Hatherleigh (parents Peter & Ann) married Mary Maunder b.1794 Plymouth, on 22 Dec 1816 at St Andrews, Plymouth.

They had 3 children:
1)   Mary Ann Stanbury b.1817 Plymouth – marries Samuel Bagshaw in 1838 Pembroke.
2)   Peter Angel Stanbury b.1820 Plymouth – marries Mary Harris, in Monkton, Pembs in 1841
3)   William Angel Stanbury b.1826 Plymouth – marries Ann Howells in 1848 at Pembroke Dock

I had been told by a relative that William Stanbury had died in 1867 in Pembroke Dock. My grandmother was born in Pembroke Dock so at some point William Stanbury and/or his daughter Mary Ann (my line) moved from Devon to Pembrokeshire.

On William b.1796’s marriage record he is listed as a mariner. His son William b.1826 was also a mariner.  His 3 children married in Pembrokeshire but I can't find concrete evidence of William in the census records.

1841 William Stanbury b. 1796 – living Devon, with dau Jane b.1826

1851 Mary Ann Stanbury b.1827 housekeeper born Steyton, tog. With Mary Stanbury (mmn Maunder?) mother-in-law b.1786 married (captain’s wife lodger) born Plymouth, Mary Stansbury 17m born Milford and Samuel Bagshaw lodge b.1846 Pembrokeshire. All residing in Back Road, Steynton, Haverfordwest.

1851 William Stanbury b.1795 widower born Plymouth, occupation Leich R N employed in Coastguard, tog. With unmarr dau Jane E b.1825 Plymouth and grand dau Sarah born 1845 Plymouth.  All residing Greenway Station, Coast Guard, Rottingdean, Lewes, Sussex.
1861 William Stanbury b.1797 widower, Master Mariner Pensioner of Merchant Funds, born Hatherleigh, residing Victoria Road Steynton, Haverfordwest.

1861 William Stanbury b.1796 widower b.1796 Retired Commander R N, born Devonport, tog. with grand dau Sarah E born 1849 Plymouth. Both residing in Brighton, Sussex.
In the first 1851 above could it be that Mary’s husband Peter Stanbury is away at sea? She has a young child and perhaps mother-in-law Mary is staying with her offering help? Maybe William senior is not with them because he, too, is at sea? This Samuel Bagshaw eventually marries Mary Ann Stanbury b.1817 but haven’t worked out why he is staying with this family at this time. I think this is my family.

I think I am finding two families. What do people think?
Did William move to west Wales – if so, is it possible to know when?
When did Mary Stanbury die (William is a widower by 1861)?
Did William Stanbury die in Pembroke Dock on 17 Aug 1867?
Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
 :-\

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William STANBURY born 4 Oct 1796 Hatherleigh, Devon.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 December 18 09:13 GMT (UK) »
I don't immediately have an answer for you, but wanted to register an interest because Peter STANBURY and Anne ANGEL are my greatx5 grandparents through their daughter Ann who married John FEWINGS.  I haven't yet followed any of their other children down, but it will be an interesting challenge for the wet days ahead!  I'll let you know if I find anything.
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 December 18 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Arishmell - I'm sure there will be plenty of wet days on the way.  :)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 December 18 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Welshnewspapers online - Mary Stanbury

https://newspapers.library.wales

search key = stanbury and use date slider bars to restrict search to 1858

I originally checked for stanbury, no date restrictions and checked results decade by decade (filters). You may wish to do same

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 December 18 15:16 GMT (UK) »
A William STANBURY aged 71 died in Pembroke district 1867 so born 1796. The burial states his address was Pembroke Dock. You'll need to obtain the death certificate to see who was the informant and may be a possible clue. He appears to be the one shown in the 1861 census for Pembrokeshire, born Hatherleigh.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 December 18 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Bingo!  Great result from the Rootschat team.  So Mary Stanbury died on 15 October 1858 which ties in with William senior living at Pembroke Dock when he died on 1867.  I have Mary mmn Maunder's baptism 10 Sept 1794 but this has to be the right person.  Thank you.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 December 18 17:53 GMT (UK) »
In the 1841 census I have found a Mary T Stanbury age 50 born Devon, with an Elizabeth Stanbury (age not clear, but she was not born in Devon). This Mary is a school mistress and Elizabeth has independence means. The address is Islands, Plympton Maurice, Plympton St May, Devon.

This is the same address as for William Stanbury with a Jane B Stanbury in the 1841 census. The same William and dau Jane (with grand dau Sarah) in the 1851 census who now live in Sussex.

Mary Stanbury lodging with her daughter in law in Haverfordwest in 1851 without her husband, although it states she is married.

Could they have separated?  And who are Elizabeth and Jane B?

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 December 18 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry, but I'm not convinced the Lieut. William Stanbury in the 1851 & 1861 census's is your ancestor. The reason I say this is because O'Byrne's Naval Biography has him serving on ships where, according to records at the National Archives, he allotted some of his pay to his mother Jenifer, which is contrary to the parents of the William you are attempting to trace ( http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C16476023)

Martin

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 December 18 22:52 GMT (UK) »
I take your point Martin, I've never been happy with my findings on this man.

I  know  for definite that Margaret Ann Bagshaw b.1857 Pembroke Dock married James Lee Rees b.1857 Steynton in 1878. They were my 2 x great grandparents.

I'm confident that Margaret's parents were Samuel Bagshaw b.1819 Tenby and Mary Ann Angel Stanbury b.1817 Plymouth.

Not so sure but still think that Mary Ann Angel Stanbury's parents were William Stanbury b.1796 Hatherleigh and Mary Maunder b.1794 Plymouth.

Again I've thought that William Stanbury's parents were Peter Stanbury b.1754 Inwardleigh and Ann Angell b.1757 Hatherleigh.

On the marriage image for Samuel Bagshaw to Mary Ann Stanbury, her father, William is listed as a mariner. If he did relocate from Devon to Pembrokeshire I was reasoning that he would have most probably been a mariner of sorts.