Author Topic: Need help with signature on painting  (Read 2638 times)

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with signature on painting
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:00 GMT (UK) »
 :D :D :D
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Nearest are in Leigh. This looks promising:

http://www.estuarygallery.com/

The gallery wrote back, saying they have been unable to find out anything about the artist, but that the painting is very well executed and that I should try contacting a couple of auction houses. There is one in Rayleigh which I will try first.

Best regards,
Karen
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Just found this link:
http://www.unm.edu/~wzahner/gallery.html
Scroll down.
Add - close up here:
http://www.unm.edu/~wzahner/ship.gif

Hi Gadget,

I have sent an E-Mail to Bill. According to his website, some of the pictures haven't been updated since the 1990s(!), and he was working in the uni library until 2003 (when I assume he retired, seeing as he graduated in the 60s).
So let's hope that he is still around and still reads E-Mail.  :)

Best regards,
Karen

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 07:54 GMT (UK) »
I have just sent an E-Mail to the auction house in Rayleigh suggested by the gallery in Leigh.

Let's see what they say.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 15:24 GMT (UK) »
The gallery in Billericay just wrote to say that they did own the gallery in Rayleigh, but not at the time our painting was on sale there.  :-[

Oh, well. The search goes on...

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 13:50 GMT (UK) »
You could e-mail the 'gallery' on the link I gave, Karen.  e-mail address address is on his home page.

It's a University of New Mexico link  :)

Hi,

As I mentioned, I sent an E-Mail to Bill at the address on the uni website. And...Bill has written back!  :) He sounds like a lovely person (and he is a dog-lover.  :-*).

He wrote that he purchased 2 paintings by Hohing back in the late 1970's or early 1980's. They were very inexpensive... less than $25.00 each. He purchased them at a "starving artists sale". These sales were apparently travelling exhibitions of genuine oil paintings by unknown artists that occasionally came to local hotels in Albuquerque, where he lives. They were intended as a way for people with limited means to be able to obtain a "real" oil painting.

He bought the paintings when he was just beginning his art collection. Later, he gave away one of the paintings as a gift when a friend admired it and, eventually, gave the other one to the same person because Bill's collection had grown and he needed room.

He has also never been able to find out anything about the artist. Over the years, two other people have contacted him after seeing the painting on his website to ask if he had any information about him/her. They had also purchased paintings by Hohing, and their paintings were very similar to ours.

Bill was very surprised to hear that Hohing sold paintings as far away as England! Probably about as surprised as I was to learn that Hohing sold paintings in Albuquerque and may well be/have been American!

So who was this Hohing?!  :o

Maybe something will turn up...  :)

Best regards,
Karen

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.

So was Hohing a starving US artist in the 1970s, painting in a 19C style, or was it put in the sale by someone else??

Also, how did one of his paintings get to Essex if that is the case.

Hohing sounds of Dutch origin to me  :-\

PS - nothing in my enormous collection of art books left over from my art school days - we had to study art history as well as doing artistic creations  ;D ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Problem being, is that I have found 5 individuals with the surname "Hohing", all of whom are/were involved in "Art" in one way or another, and then of course, there is "Ho-Hing". A never ending story me thinks.

Malky

Then there's this :- https://www.fold3.com/document/272533218/
I do not know if it is relevant as I do not subscribe to "Fold3"

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 12 December 18 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Interesting.
Also, how did one of his paintings get to Essex if that is the case.

Not just one. There were several in the gallery at the time, all similar.

Very interesting!