Author Topic: Charles William NUTCHER Greenwich Hospital School. Where is he after 1851?  (Read 333 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Is anyone familiar with records at The Caird Library at Greenwich.  In particular for the Greenwich Hospital School. I am aware much is at National Archives.

I have the forms of application for Charles William NUTCHER  in 1849, and a letter his father wrote chasing it up, which were all at National Archives. The Charles John NUTCHER record at NA is for the same boy.  (I’ve got his brother John James’s application too  but he will be the subject of another enquiry)

In 1851 Charles is a pupil at the Greenwich Hospital School, (he was baptised at Alverstoke, Gosport, Portsmouth on 20 Aug 1838)

After that he completely disappears.

In the Caird Library Catalogue  (Greenwich)

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/archive.html#!asearch;searchTerm=greenwich_hospital_school;start=10

are a number of Letter-books of the Headmaster the Rev George FISHER that cover the period.

Does a letter-book contain copies of letters sent out?   What else might be in it?
Is it likely to be indexed?

There is also   

Registers and records of Greenwich Hospital School: memos on improvement to the Schools, 1845-51    (it finishes before one would have expected Charles to be leaving the school at age 14)

Is this likely to be useful? We were hoping to find some indication of where he was sent after finishing school.  Which should be into the Royal Navy, but there is not any sign of him.  (he is NOT the Charles Nutcher born  Devonport 1829, service number 27234)
Or perhaps a record of a death?  There is no obvious death on FreeBMD

Any suggestions for where to look gratefully received as always.