Author Topic: Frederick Keys born abt.1829 Tiverton Devon  (Read 954 times)

Offline crazeekid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Keys born abt.1829 Tiverton Devon
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 December 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all for your further posts!
Annette – Thanks so much for finding this baptism of “Sally” Back in Shobrooke. This explains why I couldn’t find Sarah and now it matches the 1851 Census information , taking “Sally” for Sarah which I understand is a common diminutive for this name. I wonder if there is a birth certificate for “Sally” which  could explain further?
Willy  - thanks , I found the burial of Sarah in Exeter in 1855. And I’ll follow up on William Grafton and others who were living with Frederick age 12. Maybe I can find some links with William and Sarah Keys’ family. I found that their daughter Mary Anne died in 1819 aged 3 and daughter Jane Elizabeth died in 1832 aged 7. And husband William Keys himself died in 1836 in Tiverton.
So a lot of sadness in Sarah Keys’s life.  But Frederick and Maria Keys had their first child Frederick J Keys in 1854 in Tiverton, so Sarah would have known her grandson before she died.  There may have been other grandchildren but I can’t find any more records about Frederick's brothers Edwin Florentine  b.1827 and William b.1816 after their baptisms. Looks like after mother Sarah died, Frederick and Maria with family moved to Bermondsey . They had three children by then and went on to have three more.
Thanks again for help!

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 December 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, an Edwin Keys 14 is in Christow in 1841
Census HO107/ 1867/ 17/4 / 3
In 1851 he could be the Edward Keys 24 b Tiverton
Census ref HO107/1867/451/16
and a burial 23rd December 1860 Christow of an Edwin Keys aged 34
The twin baptism in 1827 Tiverton clearly shows William occ Smith?
Keyboard86
EDIT he marries Sept qtr 1851 Exeter to an Elizabeth Sercombe as Edwin Keys.
Elizabeth as a Widow aged 29 b Cristow is with her Keys/Sercombe family in 1861.
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crazeekid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 December 18 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,thanks keyboard 86 for the further information!
Now I've followed up these records and find Edwin Keys died in 1860 leaving Elizabeth with four young children. 1861 census shows Elizabeth as a miner's widow so perhaps Edwin  died  in a mining accident - there were a number of mines in the area.Then Elizabeth in the 1871 census shows up in Pinhoe , Devon as a servant in a vicarage-her children aren't listed. And that she married a Charles Crobb in Q3 1871. I hope her fortunes improved after that!
About the occupation of William Keys-both the baptism records of 1827 and 1816 for his children show him to be a Smith , but Frederick Keys in his marriage certificate stated his father to be a millwright which is rather odd. A Smith could be a blacksmith but if so why not state it or he could have been working with other metals e.g.as silversmith. As William died in 1836, I don;t see how he could have become a millwright since 1827. So this is rather strange at the moment. I'd rather believe a Smith as William himself must have given this information at the baptisms. Anyway, Frederick was a bootmaker so he took after his father's craft skills.