Author Topic: 1939 Enumeration District help  (Read 753 times)

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
1939 Enumeration District help
« on: Tuesday 11 December 18 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi - I'm looking for the enumeration district associated in the 1939 Register of England and Wales for 91 Markyate Road - now in Becontree, then in the Barking MB. The entry was in the name of James H Chimmick (really Chinnick) if that helps.  I got some details off FindMyPast but as I have reasonable access to most 1939 records through Ancestry I'd like to use it - but I need to find the Enumeration District as I've already searched more records than is healthy! Any help, most appreciated.
Barnes, Rickett, Osborn and Durrant near Hemel Hempstead
Chinnick in Devon and London
Nettleship in Lincolnshire
Meuvly (Meuvley and Meuwly) in London and Switzerland
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Enumeration District help
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry have not got a good version of his surname, and the original is not exactly a model of clarity.

"If you search for "James H" , born 1912 and living in "Essex, England", he should be on the first page of results. Sometimes your search can be just too narrow. Wildcards usually help, but not in this case.

Don't forget to submit a better version of the surname!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Andrew for your help - most appreciated - I'll get onto that straight away.  I hope I haven't done anything wrong - I could find the entry quickly and easily on FindMyPast and yet on Ancestry it evaded me.  I've now found the entry and made a note of the Enumeration District - I've offered a correction for those that may follow.  On this occasion the enumerator's handwriting left a bit to be desired.  Thanks once again for your help.
Cook in Hampshire
Craig, Johnston, McCollum, Wright, McAlister, Boyd, Perry and Crooks in County Antrim

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 13:52 GMT (UK) »
When you see the list of results it will be obvious why your searches failed.

The 1939 is infamous for having illegible entries. It was continuously updated, patched with tape etc, leading to smudged ink and dirty areas. Sometimes people can be located only by their date of birth!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm still stuck and can't find a 1939 Register entry for James H Chinnick on Ancestry.  I've followed previous instructions to the letter, but so far have drawn a blank. If I knew the enumeration district I could look through the records 'til I got it - I tried that trawl on Ancestry yesterday and it was an exercise in frustration, hence my RootsChat post today.
Cook in Hampshire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I just did Andrews search, and your man came up fourth on the list.  Tick the 'exact' box in each case (i.e. christian name, year of birth, lived in). Leave everything else blank.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Ah, the exact bit was the bit I left out, thanks, I'll give that a go - here's hoping.
Cook in Hampshire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 14:31 GMT (UK) »
While looking for your chap I found someone called James Maleobuton, which I thought sounded very exotic. Turned out to be James Malcolmson (to be fair, the enumerator did have very idiosyncratic handwriting  :D )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skybluechris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mmm ... tasty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 December 18 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Bingo!  Thanks Jen for your help - I should have been using 'exact' for years.
Cook in Hampshire