Author Topic: Looking for ancestors of Arthur CROLL of Aberdeen  (Read 2193 times)

Offline Neil Croll

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for ancestors of Arthur CROLL of Aberdeen
« on: Sunday 16 December 18 05:26 GMT (UK) »
I've hit a brick wall searching for ancestors of Arthur CROLL. I know he was born about 1796, married Elizabeth DAVY (various spellings) 10 Jun 1815, worked as a 'wright' (carpenter and joiner) and the family lived in Chapel St Aberdeen between 1819 and 1825 and attended the Gilcomston Chapel of Ease. In 1825 they lived at Balmakelly, Aberdeenshire (Sources: Children's baptism records), and there is a record of a Mr 'Croll, of St Cyrus' having executed the woodwork of the Fordoun Parish Church, which was completed in 1830 (Source: Mollyson C A. 1893. 'The parish of Fordoun. I know the details of their children Margaret, William, Charles and David but nothing much about Sarah Ann or James Fullarton CROLL. My brick wall also hides the details of Arthur's wife Elizabeth DAVY. I would really appreciate any information available.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for ancestors of Arthur CROLL of Aberdeen
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 December 18 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I think I can help with James Fullarton Croll  :)

James Fullarton Croll, joiner, died in Edinburgh on 5 March 1900. He married Cecilia/Cicely Davie (b. 1821, Culross, Perthshire, to John Davie and Cecilia/Cicely Beveridge) in Leith, Midlothian on 18 Nov 1847. They had 7 children that I can see: Cecilia, Elizabeth, Arthur, John, Ann, Sarah, Margaret, all born Edinburgh.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:02 GMT (UK) »
In 1825 they lived at Balmakelly, Aberdeenshire (Sources: Children's baptism records)
Please say which parish this Balmakelly is in. There are two places of this name listed in Scotland's Places, one in the parish of Garvock and one in the parish of Marykirk. Neither of these parishes is in the county of Aberdeen.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758930

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Indeed - the Aberdeenshire thing threw me off for a while  ;)

I think this must be the family at Balmakelly, Marykirk in 1841:

Arthur Croal, 54, wright, Kincardineshire
Elizabeth Croal, 52, Kincardineshire
William Croal, 21, outside census county
Margaret Croal, 25, outside census county
James Croal, 19, wright journeyman, outside census county
David Croal, 14, Kincardineshire

Note that an age of 54 (assuming it is accurate) makes Arthur's DOB about 1787, rather than about 1796.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Children:

CROLL CECILIA BEVERID JAMES CROLL/CECILIA DAVIE FR4253 (FR4253) F 22/10/1848 685/1 600 210 Edinburgh

CROLL ELIZABETH DAVIE JAMES CROLL/CECILIA DAVIE FR4254 (FR4254) F 20/04/1851 685/1 600 211 Edinburgh

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Note that an age of 54 (assuming it is accurate) makes Arthur's DOB about 1787, rather than about 1796.
Indeed.

Neil, what evidence do you have to make you think he was born as late as 1796?

I see that they were married in Fordoun (County of Kincardine) and their eldest child was baptised in Montrose (County of Angus) and the youngest in Marykirk (County of Kincardine).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Deaths with different spelling:

CROALL JAMES FULLERTON 78 1900 685/2 186 St Andrew (Edinburgh)

CROALL CECILIA 76 1898 685/2 146 St Andrew (Edinburgh)

The marriage:

CROAL JAMES to CECILIA DAVIE/FR6519 (FR6519) 18-11-1847 692/2 250 57 Leith South

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:45 GMT (UK) »
1861 census 685/1 94/ 6 St George Midlothian:

CROALL
James 39
Cecelia 40
Cecelia 12
Elizabeth 10
Arthur 7
John 4
Ann 1

Jamjar

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 December 18 10:50 GMT (UK) »
1871 census 685/1 71/ 23 and 24 St George Midlothian

CROALL
James 49
Cecelia 49
Arthur 17
John 14
Ann 11
Sarah 9
Margaret 6

Jamjar