Author Topic: How Far Back Can You Go!  (Read 4236 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How Far Back Can You Go!
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 10:25 GMT (UK) »
A number of illegitimate births have thwarted me in getting back to Adam .. or so I tell myself. ;)

In one 1800s family there appears to have been a hasty marriage and the hasty birth of twins who both speedily died.  I hope neither of the pair felt trapped by having to go through such a speedy marriage.  They went on to have a large family after this.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 13:00 GMT (UK) »
SWMBO was lucky to have Quakers in her line, all nicely documented through the eighteenth century. We got that line back of 1627 with an unverified Ancestry hint offering us another generation.

My paternal line stops at the start of the nineteenth century as I can't verify which of two identically named men of similar age in the parish is my ancestor.

In general most lines that I have explored hit brick walls in the late eighteenth although one, through my g grandmother's line, goes back to the early sixteenth thanks to well documented non conformists and yeoman farmers.

I have looked at a number of Ancestry's "recommended parents" and tried to trace them forward into my line but they always seem to be based on unverified trees rather than any actual records.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
1066 When the Fewtrell clan arrived.

Coat of Arms to the left. Fewtrell of the Downe in the Parish of Chetton, Shropshire.

Is that based on documented sources?
E.G. Parish records of baptisms and marriages.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 13:06 GMT (UK) »
There was a thread on here recently which mentioned finding a tree which went back to Adam. Thread title may have been something like "Ancestry rubbish".

It was "Ancestry tree rubbish" https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800691.63
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I managed to get back to a man who was knighted in 1633. Stephen Borde of Borde Hall, Cuckfield, Sussex. Direct ancestor.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 17:00 GMT (UK) »
There was a thread on here recently which mentioned finding a tree which went back to Adam. Thread title may have been something like "Ancestry rubbish".

It was "Ancestry tree rubbish" https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800691.63

Thanks. I see you started it and it's now 15 pages long.

Do I assume that those who managed to trace lines back 400, 500, 600  years have been following mostly male lines? Some early marriage registers don't record names of brides - only that John Smith married on such-and-such a date.
 A 6GGM of mine, Alice Smith, was a widow when she married my 6GGF. Whether she was Alice Smith from childhood or married a man called Smith, I know not.
Cowban

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been fortunate with a number of ancestors as they were not ag labs (or similar) and had sufficient assets that a PCC or local will was necessary. Having well written wills that name their wife, children, grand children, nieces, nephews, brother or sister in laws, etc does make the researching life much simpler.

Both of my paternal grandparents came from well documented lines so I had a really good starting point, I still had to check each piece of information but over 95% was accurate.

Maternal grandparents were the opposite but did stay in the same areas for several generations.

Sadly they both came from the junior sons or daughters so little cash passed to them and no property :( But at least they were named in the wills.

PR's are a great help but they are only as good as the person that completed them and sadly I have had the experience of a vicar with selective memory or perhaps filling in the register each week from memory after downing the remaining communion wine. ;D

I also have brick walls with people born in the early 1800's and 3 generations of successive illegitimate children with no bastardy orders found.

There are some good trees on Ancestry and I  will happily look at the ones with sources to see if they are sensible, logical and a possible angle of research. The rubbish thread started solely due to some of the absolute junk that is there as well. Sadly it then expands as other people think "that name fits, I'll have them" and ignore minor facts like where and when.

I do have both male & female lines back to the late 1500's, however I have found that the biggest stumbling block is often the interregnum where a someone could be hatched, matched & despatched without a record being made.

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 17:39 GMT (UK) »
I left out one little bit

We have to assume that the father named in PR's, wills, etc is the real father. I wonder what the truth really is ;)
Scott - Lincolnshire
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 18 December 18 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Father's side
Early 11th century with surname Luffman (Leofman moneyer to Ethelred the Unready)
1300 if an illegitimate connection is proved
Meatyard yeoman farmers in Dorset
proven John Luffman 2xggf b1776 baptism base son of Betty Meechard
Mother's side direct line back to 1538
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)