Author Topic: Butley name"Tuttle" or "Tuthill"  (Read 701 times)

Offline AlanTerapin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Butley name"Tuttle" or "Tuthill"
« on: Monday 17 December 18 21:45 GMT (UK) »
I have recently received a settlement certificate for James Tuttle and his wife Mary related to Butley and he died in 1761. Born 1690 approx. He is my direct descendant. The national Burial Index gives 3 Tuttle names for Butley namely Ann,Elizabeth and John who died in the period 1726-1736.. I am trying to obtain more information on these people. My suspicion is that John Tuttle will be the father of James but this needs to be confirmed. Any help would be appreciated. Information might be available on microfiche but I am based in Cyprus and this would not help even if i got a copy.    Thanks if anyone can assist.

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Butley name"Tuttle" or "Tuthill"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 15:26 GMT (UK) »

names in Suffolk Burial index under Tuttle only. Butley as follows:

Elizabeth  16/9/1723
Ann           17/2/1726
Elizabeth   29/8/1727
John           29/7/1736
James         22/11/1761

no further info given

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline AlanTerapin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Butley name"Tuttle" or "Tuthill"
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Diddy.

This certainly helps to build up the picture of the Tuttles in Butley. Your confirmation of 2 named Elizabeth burials adds to my understanding. The death of elizabeth Tuttle in 1723 makes her a possible wife of John Tuttle  with the other Elizabeth her grand-daughter (maybe Elizabeth Tuthill) who died 1727 at just one year old being the daughter of Nathaniel Tuttle (born 1696 Butley (IGI), died Capel St Andrew 1732 ) and Ann Garrett). Bit of educated guesswork here. thanks very much for you help, much appreciated.