Author Topic: Placename in Newport  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Placename in Newport
« on: Thursday 20 December 18 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to locate a town or area in the district of Newport.  Attached is a screenshot showing this place name from the death certificate of a baby (Richard Hamilton/Hambleton BRUCE) who was the son of a soldier who was probably in Newport recruiting for the regiment. I am uncertain of the spelling of the town/place and would appreciate any help with identification please.  Also happy to share information about the family and the regiment if anyone is interested.   Thank you, Jennifer   

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Placename in Newport
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 December 18 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 December 18 00:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. It looks like the 11th Regiment arrived in September, 1841, after the departure of the Rifle Brigade.  I question the presence of the British army in Newport.   Perhaps someone can educate me please?  Having just read an account of the appalling living conditions in Pill I think it little wonder that a four month old baby died there.  One of the cousins (another descendant of Richard Bruce) sent the attached text which gives some background.   Jennifer

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 December 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jennifer,

The army would have been there at the time  following the Newport Chartist Rising in 1839.  The fear of further unrest continued through the early and middle 1840s.  There is quite a bit of information about the Rising available online.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 December 18 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Drosybont,  I'll do some reading.  The 11th regiment moved on from Newport, probably to Northampton by 1843, then in 1845 was on its way to what is now Australia.  So it sounds like the British Army rotated its regiments through Newport in fairly smart order.  I'll have to find out what the duration of a normal British army posting was but it sounds like the regiment was in Newport about two years.   Jennifer

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 December 18 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I think 2 years was the norm?

Certainly, when I have been browsing Parish Registers on the Isle of Man, the soldiers who married seemed to come from different regiments about every 2 years ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 December 18 21:39 GMT (UK) »
That definitely helps.  As well as understanding how the system works, knowing that will help with finding out more about a child born in 1843 in Northampton who is not registered and for whom there appears to be no baptismal record.  This child bears the name of an earlier child of the same family who was born and then died at Newport in 1841/42.  Registration and Baptism might be something neglected if the regiment was on the move.  The second child inherited the birth day and month of the child which had died which suggests the family used the first baptismal record/certificate for the second child.  Just sharing.  Thank you again, Jennifer