Author Topic: Sarah Smith  (Read 19069 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Smith
« Reply #207 on: Thursday 04 April 19 00:21 BST (UK) »
:)

Agh ...  a William BOYD, aged 33, a Bachelor of Sydney and the Paymaster for the 3rd Regiment of foot, married Elizabeth PENDERGAST who was aged 24 and a spinster.  They were married 14 October 1826, by Rev Richard Hill, St James C of E, Sydney.  Witnesses were George Gilling MILLS and Hannah JONES, both of George Street.

Marriage registered three times at NSW BDM...  :)

JM

He died at Bhagulphore (which I think would be on the Sub-continent, ie where the Buffs went after finishing tour of duty here) 31 December 1828 ...
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/2192261 21 April 1829 Sydney Gazette

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: Thursday 04 April 19 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,  I totally agree that Charles the baker could be a totally different Charles Lewis.
Everyone I have spoken to in family research has him as being Joseph's father, probably only because he was a baker, and the age fits, I really don't know?
They do not have any paperwork to verify this.
That is why I would like to either rule him in or out as being Joseph's father, instead of just speculating.
I have noted your questions and might have to invest in some more certificates.
I was looking through my Lewis family research and noticed there was a Louisa Sawyer that was a teacher at Fitz's Valley school, more coincidences?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: Thursday 04 April 19 02:52 BST (UK) »
Yes,  there could be quite a few NSW certs ....  the official transcriptions are excellent alternative to the real deal expensive certs.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: Thursday 04 April 19 03:31 BST (UK) »
Yes I will only get transcriptions.

Unfortunately I am finding with checking the Boyd family history that there doesn't seem to be any knowledge of who Elizabeth Lewis is?

I suppose it's like that with most family history though that the main line is researched with much more vigor than it's many branches?

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: Thursday 04 April 19 03:50 BST (UK) »
There were two Charles Lewis that were researched, one died in 1868 Liverpool, and another 1852, both these Charles were eliminated as not being the one that married Mary A. re marriages, occupations etc.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: Thursday 04 April 19 04:08 BST (UK) »
Please read reply #202 and carefully check the d.c. for  Joseph  LEWIS ..... are you sure his mother is named on the Registrar General's record?  If so,  there is an obvious error in the online index and it can be adjusted IF NSWBDM is advised about it.

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: Thursday 04 April 19 04:57 BST (UK) »
Joseph's d.c. states father, Charles Lewis, Mother Smith,  the informant was a friend of the family.

His birth registration in 1832 states parents Charles Lewis and Mary Ann,  FHL no# 993950.

So I would guess without being too speculative that the two registrations would put his parents as Charles Lewis and Mary Ann Smith?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: Thursday 04 April 19 05:20 BST (UK) »
May I suggest you consider contacting the transcription agent and ask them to follow up and organise for the NSW BDM online index for d.c. 7235/1889 for Joseph LEWIS to be updated, removing the displayed info under the heading for Mother's given name, ('died West Macquarie') and replacing it with 'Mary' .  I have found transcription agents to be very thorough and I am sure they will appreciate the importance of organising the correction to the NSW BDM without causing any hassles for the staff at NSW BDM.

ADD

Joseph's d.c. states father, Charles Lewis, Mother Smith,  the informant was a friend of the family.

His birth registration in 1832 states parents Charles Lewis and Mary Ann,  FHL no# 993950.

So I would guess without being too speculative that the two registrations would put his parents as Charles Lewis and Mary Ann Smith?

That 1832 record is better referred to as a Baptism, rather than a birth registration.  Birth registrations commence in NSW with the Registrar General's office, 1 March 1856. 

2nd ADD
Some info re NSW BDM
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=660501.0

JM

Offline sasarina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: Thursday 04 April 19 05:35 BST (UK) »
My copy of the transcription 1889/7235,  doesn't have (died West Macquarie) under the heading for the mothers name?