Author Topic: Benjamin Morris married Sarah Nee cadish married 26 July 1879 Lomza, Poland  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Morris married Sarah Nee cadish married 26 July 1879 Lomza, Poland
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 February 19 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scott,

If I understand you correctly, you have the original marriage certificate in Russian. This makes things a bit trickier, because the original rendering in Polish has been transliterated into Russian. From 1868 to 1918/9, all vital records in Poland were in Russian.

UPDATE: I see from one of your earlier posts that the date and place of marriage were recorded on the birth cert of their daughter, Leah. Can you please post a snippet of the image here?

You have to think phonetically, but Kadysz is the most likely Polish spelling of the Anglicised form Cadish. A kadish is a traditional Hebrew prayer for the dead.

Yiddish forms of Sarah are Sore, Sora, Sure, etc.

Benjamin's Anglicised surname Morris is most commonly linked to the Hebrew name Mosheh, i.e. Moses. Where have you come across the link to Mendel?

Justin

Will do Justin regards the birth certificate with marriage ... bare with me ... the link to Mendel was strange as it was identified on a birth certificate of one of there children .. the inconsistencies were a few throughout the various census info and birth certs .. x marks were used and maiden name Kaddish was various spellings but Sarah used Mendel in one and I wondered if she mistakenly referred to a name that coulda may have been married name previous before Morris ?

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 February 19 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello Scott,

If I understand you correctly, you have the original marriage certificate in Russian. This makes things a bit trickier, because the original rendering in Polish has been transliterated into Russian. From 1868 to 1918/9, all vital records in Poland were in Russian.

UPDATE: I see from one of your earlier posts that the date and place of marriage were recorded on the birth cert of their daughter, Leah. Can you please post a snippet of the image here?

You have to think phonetically, but Kadysz is the most likely Polish spelling of the Anglicised form Cadish. A kadish is a traditional Hebrew prayer for the dead.

Yiddish forms of Sarah are Sore, Sora, Sure, etc.

Benjamin's Anglicised surname Morris is most commonly linked to the Hebrew name Mosheh, i.e. Moses. Where have you come across the link to Mendel?

Justin
as mentioned the number of inconsistencies has been there to see.. Numerous varients and o doubt English was limited.. The Mendel name is interesting.. This address links up with the census 1901 foe the family in Sheffield  Solly Street.... Sarah has used various forms of surname spellings which I have no doubt is the transcription of what was interpreted.. Cadish.. Kadish Cardish etc... under maiden name .. to use Mendel under Maiden I wondered if this was Sarah sharing her marriage name before changing to Morris??? Ifs and buts I know but a possible clue

Offline Scott_M

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 May 19 10:33 BST (UK) »
I am very interested in Harry Morris (son to Benjamin & Sarah) and he is listed as married in the 1939 England & Wales Register to what looks like Ethel nee Masono.. I wonder where they got married and what year .. Given Ethel is only abt 21 at this stage I would suspect marriage is possibly abt 1936 - 1939 ish
Ethel Masono is shown to be born in 21 November 1908

In 1939 they are listed in the England & Wales Register at 32 Welbeck Grove, Salford, Lancashire...
Harrys profession is Film Master Traveller Travelling... Not quite sure what is involved here? welcome any support on this if anyone can comment..
As Harry was born on 12th September 1886 he is a good bit older than his wife..

I would love to understand if there is any other info on Harry and if in fact they had any children ..