Author Topic: Pipet  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Pipet
« on: Monday 24 December 18 09:17 GMT (UK) »
I am searching on behalf of a lady named at birth as Pauline Pipet, she was born in St Helier Jersey on 15 th September 1943. Fathers name believed to be James Torode. She was given up for adoption at the age of 5. Mothers name was Alice Pipet. If anyone has any knowledge of this family ,or perhaps has the name in their tree. Any information appreciated.

Offline la grande-méthe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pipet
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 December 18 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Both Pipet and Torode are names more associated with Guernsey than Jersey.

This may just be a coincidence but a Reta Alice Pipet née Torode was living in Jersey during the German Occupation of the island. There is an older daughter, born in 1939, named on the back of her reg card which means that her husband was not on the island between 1941 and 1945, if he had been the daughter would have been on the back of his card.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 December 18 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Another odd thing, the birth record is listed in volume 68, 1941-44, of St Helier births, but it is hand-written at the bottom of the typed sheet and quotes volume 71 which covers the period 1948-49.

No idea what this means! However, it suggests someone else has been looking at this record.

Mike, have you actually seen a copy of the birth certificate?

Stewart

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 December 18 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, interesting to see that somebody else may have been researching the same name. I am hoping to have the opportunity to view a birth certificate and some other documents in the new year.When I have seen the documents I will quite possibly be asking for more information.Distance is a bit of a problem as I live in Essex.

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 December 18 09:30 GMT (UK) »
Another odd thing, the birth record is listed in volume 68, 1941-44, of St Helier births, but it is hand-written at the bottom of the typed sheet and quotes volume 71 which covers the period 1948-49.

No idea what this means! However, it suggests someone else has been looking at this record.

Mike, have you actually seen a copy of the birth certificate?

StewartVolume 71 for the period 1948 - 9 would be roughly the time when adoption took place. May of course be purely coincidental.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 December 18 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

I had to go to the Registry Office this morning for something else so took the opportunity to look at PP's birth entry and I now have a better understanding of the entry in volume 71.

The birth did take place 15th Sep 1943 (volume 71) but there is an entry written alongside referring to a Royal Court Order. This suggests the original birth was never registered. Adoption  was never lawful I believe in Jersey, until 1946. If PP was then put up for legal adoption in 1948 a birth certificate would be required and a Royal Court Order to cover the late registration, hence why a 1943 birth is in volume 71 and not volume 68 which covers the 1943 time period.

I've read that back several times and hope it makes sense.

However, more importantly is that her mother was indeed Rita Alice Pipet (spelt Reta on her Occupation Registration card). What is more confusing though is that it appears that James Torode married Mary Gendle Watts in 1946!

Stewart

Offline Mike S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 18 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Stewart, Thanks for the latest information. I should have a view of some documentation. In the new year.

Offline Aussiefresh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 11:55 GMT (UK) »
A friend of mine who name is raymond Pipet was born in 1946 in st Helier Jersey his mother was Reta and father James he had three older sisters on was Pauline who was adopted at 5 years of aged.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi

It's over 3 years ago that I last looked at this but I immediatly saw an error in that James Torode married Mary Gendle Watts in 1846 not 1946 as I had stated.

I need to have a look at this again and get my brain in gear!

Stewart