Author Topic: Family of Archibald Campbell, 7th Earl of Argyll  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Family of Archibald Campbell, 7th Earl of Argyll
« on: Friday 28 December 18 12:40 GMT (UK) »
I have been sent a descendancy chart involving the 7th Earl of Argyll and his first wife Lady Agnes Douglas, daughter of the 6th Earl of Morton, and have been checking the details against what I can find online.

According to this chart Lady Mary Campbell, daughter of the above couple, married James, 2nd Lord Rollo.

According to Wikipedia, Archibald Campbell and Agnes Douglas had only three children, not including a Mary.

According to the Clan Campbell of North America web site https://www.ccsna.org/archibald-campbell-7th-earl-argyll, the 7th Earl of Argyll had two daughters named Mary. The first one, whose mother was Lady Agnes Douglas, married Sir Robert Montgomery, and the second, whose mother was the Earl's second wife Anne Cornwallis, was the one who married James Rollo. This information is repeated on numerous other web sites.

Can anyone shed light on these obviously contradictory pieces of information?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Family of Archibald Campbell, 7th Earl of Argyll
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Burke's Peerage (Eighth edition 1845) says 7th Earl had son Archibald and 4 daughters (without naming them) by 1st marriage and another son, James, with another daughter (not named) by his second wife.
Not much help I know as more conflicting information.
Ray

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 18 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Burke's Peerage (Eighth edition 1845) says 7th Earl had son Archibald and 4 daughters (without naming them) by 1st marriage and another son, James, with another daughter (not named) by his second wife.
Not much help I know as more conflicting information.
Not really. It would appear that Burke didn't see wives and daughters as worthy of his attention!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 December 18 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Same reference
James 2nd Baron Rollo m. 1st Dorothea, 3rd dau. of John, 4th Earl of Montrose, but had no issue; and 2ndly, Mary, dau. of Archibald, 7th Earl of Argyll, by whom he had 2 sons and a dau.
Ray

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Archibald's second wife, Lady Anne nee Cornwallis died in 1634/35 and her will (PROB11/167/70) does name a daughter Mary.  She had other daughters (she leaves money to "each of my other daughters") but does not say how many or give their names.  She also mentions a son, giving his name as Lord Kintire.  There is no indication if these are her own children or her step-children.  But she makes no mention of her husband.

Her executor was Sir Henry Knolles and his wife Katherine was to be paid £100 for 'pious uses.'

I'm trying to find the earl's will - DNB states that the earl died in London and his will was proved 29 November 1638.

There is an illuminated pedigree of the maternal ancestry Lady Elizabeth Campbell, daughter of Archibald & his second wife at the Kent History & Library Centre, but it may not mention her siblings.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:15 GMT (UK) »
There was a daughter Anne baptised in 1614 in London.  Unfortunately that's the only one I can find at the moment.

Nell

Edit - she was buried a few months later.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 December 18 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. Getting there!

Anne Cornwallis' will is useful but can't clinch the question I am looking into because Lady Mary Campbell and James, 2nd Lord Rollo, were reportedly married in 1642, so Anne Cornwallis who died in 1634/1635 wouldn't have been able to describe her daughter as 'wife of xxx'.

What I am really after is some definite proof to say which Lady Mary Campbell was married to James, 2nd Lord Rollo and which Lady Mary Campbell was married to Sir Robert Montgomery of Skelmorlie.

The Mary Campbell/Robert Montgomerie marriage is said in some online sources to have taken place in 1617 and Mary Campbell/James Rollo in 1642.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:04 GMT (UK) »
This is all only a possibility, but using some logic and likelihoods based on dates and ages, it might be possible to come to a conclusion.

Archibald's first wife died in 1607 and he married Anne Cornwallis in 1609.  From the 1635 will it is clear that there is at least one daughter named Mary and she is probably unmarried, since there is no indication of any husband's name. 

Let's also take it as true that there were two daughters named Mary, one from the first marriage and the other from the second.

The first Mary must have been born before 1607, while the other definitely after 1609.  While marriages took place when couples were as young as 12 and 14, at this date, I think that this is no longer the norm.  Archibald was 32 when his first wife died, so maybe married by 20 or so.  If this is then applied to his children, then the first Mary (daughter of Anne Douglas) is the one who married Robert Montgomery and the second is the one who married James Rollo.

James Rollo was first married in 1628 and his wife Dorothea did not die until 1638.  If the Mary Campbell that he married were the older Mary and this was her first/only marriage, she would have been a very elderly first-time mother when she gave birth to Montgomery's children.

Not proof, but a reasonable conclusion to come to.

Nell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 December 18 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Collins, in the Peerage of England Vol 1 p 374 (pub 1735, available on Google Books) states that James the son of Archibald and his second wife Anne Cornwallis was created Lord Kintyre in 1622 by James I/VI.  So that pins down the son in the 1635 will.

It also states that their daughter Mary was the one who married James Lord Rollo.

Nell