Author Topic: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated  (Read 9991 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 December 18 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jen

I have ignored the one and put the Hebron marriage as the possible.

The marriage at Hebron is also confirmed on freeReg https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/58182725e93790eb7f4508a3?search_id=5c26877ef4040be5938195c5&ucf=false
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 December 18 20:42 GMT (UK) »
I have ignored the one and put the Hebron marriage as the possible.

I think you’d be safer to say that the one at Hebron is a possible rather than the possible  :D

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 December 18 21:08 GMT (UK) »
I meant a possible but as I go through the Tynemouth Parish records with one eye closed and my magnifying glass I was likely hoping it was the one  for sure.   :)  However I never yield to temptation and just slam in a name if it fits.
I learnt what that leads to the hard way many years ago.   ::)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 December 18 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Tynemouth Parish records with one eye closed and my magnifying glass

Been there, done that  :D

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 29 December 18 08:22 GMT (UK) »
I'll be back in action at the archives next week so if RTL doesn't get to the transcripts I can look at the originals for you.

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 29 December 18 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I have been looking at the transcripts with no success so far but I am going along very slow and started at the beginning of the register and working forward. 

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 January 19 23:01 GMT (UK) »
It is a while since I looked at Christchurch records and I had forgotten how large a parish it served.  Lots of records to go through so I didn’t find anything new but I can give you the full entry for your baptism and for the other two which Rosie found as I believe they are siblings of Edward. 

9/1/1780 Robert son of Edward and Anne Jobling of No. Sh. Mariner
7/9/1783 Edward son of Edward and Anne Jobling of No. Sh. Mariner
28/8/1785 John son of Edward and Anne Jobling of No. Sh. Master Mariner born the 11th of June 1785

So they lived in North Shields rather than any of the surrounding areas covered by this parish and it seems he became a Master Mariner sometime between 1783 and 1785.  That may be another avenue of investigation for you to look at.

I also looked at the Hebron (Hebburn) marriage -

Banns were read on 24th and 31st December 1775 and 7th January 1776
Edward Jobling and Anne Grey both of this parish were married in this chapel by banns 9th January 1776.  The witnesses were John James and Thomas James but these two frequently witnessed marriages so I doubt that they were directly connected to either the bride or groom.

It is interesting that, while the vicar/curate wrote her name as Anne Grey she signed Ann Gray.  Both of them signed their names rather than made a mark.

As the records for Hebron and Whitley are both on the same film I double-checked Whitley and can confirm that there is no such marriage in the records for that church.

Christine

Offline jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 03 January 19 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking  Christine
 I had also looked through the records  for the parish from the transcripts and it was quite the undertaking.  I did not find anything but I did find something I think on a sibling of Edward.

This whole lesson has raised a question I am hoping you and anyone else who has a interest can help answer or give their view on and something I have always puzzled over.

The Hebron Northumberland marriage was 1776 and according to modern day maps this is 23miles from Tynemouth.   
For the late 1700s and early 1800s do you use any distance  gauge if you see "maybe" marriages in the same county  .  I know the Industrial Revolution started circa 1760 but I do not know how much it was affecting the movement of populations to cities or larger towns at that time.

If by some miracle it was proved that Edward Jobling was born in Tynemouth North Shields area would that make a marriage 23 miles away not very likely at that time unless Edward Jobling was born in the Hebron Morpeth area.

As I said this has always been a puzzle to me as I have been told numerous time that some marriages could not be the one as  they were to far away (53 miles 1779)    However I eventually found there was no doubt it was the right marriage. (A Devon marriage)

Thank you again.   You people make me enjoy genealogy again and also make me not afraid to ask questions.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 03 January 19 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I was puzzling over the same thing - more or less.  It depends which way you look at it -
How did a mariner manage to meet a girl from a land-locked parish or
How did a man from a land-locked parish become a mariner

The distance from Hebron to North Shields is not as relevant as the distance from Hebron to the nearest port because once a sailor is at sea he could travel between all of the ports along that coast line.  The trouble is that none of them are very close  which is why I keep going around in circles.

One thing I’m fairly sure about is that he would be a sailor when he married.  It takes many years to qualify for a Master’s ticket so if he reached this status between 1783 and 1785 then he’s likely to have been at sea before 1776.  Just conjecture on my part, of course.

Perhaps it might be useful to find Anne Grey’s baptism and there is one in Warkworth in 1760.  It would make her only 16 when she married but Warkworth is a neighbouring parish to Hebron and, at that time, included the port of Amble.

Christine