Author Topic: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated  (Read 9989 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Jobling marriage to Anne Tynemouth area pre1783 Advice appreciated
« Reply #36 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Jen, I am sure the Jobling burials I saw were for around the early 1800 to mid 1800s in the Tynemouth Cemetery file (North Shields library) I had a quick look at.  I think this is different from Preston Cemetery if you are thinking of that one.

bitzar, yes I agree they were most likely a family of means to have a grave stone like this.  The majority of stones are not at the Church anymore.  I wonder what happened to them?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi RTL, if it’s Tynemouth General Cemetery, it seems that opened in 1833  :-\
https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2557580/tynemouth-general-cemetery
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:27 GMT (UK) »
I have checked Margaret Hall's website for the Cemetery listings - register seems to start at 1834 for what Tyne and Wear Archives hold. 

This is very strange because I thought that the file I looked at quickly last week were for much earlier burials. ???  I could be mistaken of course.

All I can say is I will check this out when I can next get to the North Shields library and will post about this then.  May not be until next week.  I do think I saw an Ann Jobling listed .. also a Robert and a John .. and others but definitely no Edward.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen, I saw your post after mine.  I believe you.  Very strange .. I thought I recalled much earlier burial sightings.  I must look again properly at the relevant file for the real dates.  I will definitely check the list of Jobling names and dates when I can get back to North Shields library and will look up any burial for anyone who may have an interest in any relevant Jobling.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 07 January 19 13:37 GMT (UK) »
It’s useful to know the date, so I just had a quick look at old newspaper reports.

It definitely opened in 1833 and the first interment took place in June of that year.
Nice snip from The Newcastle Journal, 29 June 1833
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 07 January 19 16:47 GMT (UK) »
I agree the Warkworth Ann is a possible but you may have to check if she died young or married there.
FreeREG has the records under Grey/Gray

There are two burials for Ann Grey in the relevant timescale.  One daughter of Thomas of Hauxley who was baptised in 1782 and buried in 1784.
The other simply says 'of Acklington' which is where our potential Ann hails from.  However there was Ann baptised 1760 daughter of Robert and Ann baptised 1772 daughter of Roger - both from Acklington so no way of telling which Ann it was who died.

Freereg for Northumberland generally is transcribed from the bishop's transcripts which are only online from 1760 onwards and do have a gap or two.  I think it might be useful if I had a closer look at the PRs on Wednesday.

Christine

Online jim234j

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 07 January 19 19:08 GMT (UK) »
If this helps in any way.  When Edward and Ann are in Tynemouth we know of 3  possible children baptized
Robert  1780
Edward 1783
John     1785

I only bring this up as one of the Ann(e)'s who are possible fathers name was Robert

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 07:32 GMT (UK) »
Good to know.  It's not primary evidence but useful when building up a case.

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 09 January 19 23:07 GMT (UK) »
I looked at Warkworth records today.  My plan was to check the earlier ones not covered by the bishops transcripts using an old book of transcriptions then find them in the actual registers - it’s easier that way than trying to read the old records alone.  I did that and can say that there are a lot of Greys in Warkworth parish!

However, I didn’t go further because I found a marriage in 1785 of James Innis to Anne Grey and this could well be the one baptised in 1760.  Unfortunately there is no way of proving this one way or another because these early records give so little information.  For now, I would put a question mark against her and cast around for another possible Ann.

Sorry not to have something more positive to report.

Christine