Author Topic: Leicester newspapers 1959  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Leicester newspapers 1959
« on: Saturday 29 December 18 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, I'm trying to research a death in Leicester in 1959, death certificate ordered! But thought that there may be either an obituary or an article in the newspaper as there's a rumour of some wrong doing. When I look up Leicester newspapers for that year the British newspaper archive only has the mercury up until 1950.

Any ideas which papers were around in 1959 and where I may be able to access them?

The death is Kathleen A Long march quarter 1959

I have tried googling lol

Thanks,

Kev
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Re: Leicester newspapers 1959
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev

From memory of my life in Leicester in those days the Mercury was the main if not the only paper in the county in 1959. I have a copy of a LM article of 1950 downloaded from findmypast so it seems that I was lucky to find it in the last year on offer. There were certainly other local papers prior to that such as the local Mkt Harborough Advertiser and probably others but I have no idea whether these were still going in 1959 and in any case the Leicester paper would have been more likely to report something taking place in or near to the city.

cheers
Tony

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tony, thanks for the reply.

I live in Narborough, just outside Leicester. I don't know whether the record office will have what I'm after, as everything I've looked at has nothing from 1950-1960. I would imagine the death that I'm researching would be reported in the press, so I guess I will have to take a trip to Wigston and see.

Kev

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Was she born as Kathleen A Gee in Manchester and married in 1957 Leics?  Husband was 5yrs younger than her?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev

Know Narborough well and have a brother there. I used to drink at the Blue Bell pub which I think was converted to a restaurant after we left the area. More recently I've been to the Foxhunter.

I now live over 100 miles away so I have only ever visited the record office once and have no idea what newspaper records they may hold. But it's not far from you :)

Good luck

Tony

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I would wait to see what cause of death is given on the cert and whether the coroner was involved.

She died in March qtr 1959 and it may be a complete coincidence that a Brian L Long b 1934 died Sept qtr 1959 - both deaths registered in the Leics RD

No birth for a Brian L Long 1933-1936
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 18 23:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carole, thanks, I have all the other details, I'm just trying to find out anything as the cert is going to take nearly 2 weeks!

Tony, the foxhunter is now a Miller and Carter restaurant!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 December 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
If the cert shows no suspicious circumstances surrounding her death - then there won't be anything in the papers.  You say there is only a rumour of wrongdoing

If her death was suspicious there will have been an inquest which should be recorded on the death cert.  The records office may have the coroners inquest details

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 December 18 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Carole there is a discrepancy between her death and the registration of it, could this indicate an inquest? According to online family trees ( not normally relied on!) she died in august 1958 but it wasn't registered until the first quarter 1959!