Author Topic: Not exactly a beginner!  (Read 693 times)

Offline LeedsSteampunk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Not exactly a beginner!
« on: Monday 31 December 18 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Just introducing myself to the roots chat family!
I have quite an extensive family tree going on with the Ancestry site, doing both my side and my husband's.
My side of the family, from my mum's half, her dad (obviously my grandad) claimed that the famous cricketer Frank Woolley was his cousin - yet to verify!
On my hubby's family, his biological father's surname is Burgoyne - apparently connected to General John Burgoyne but still working on that. Via his mum, her grandmother was called Kate Kensit which makes him a cousin of some sort to actress Patsy Kensit (this goes back to something like gt x 3 grandparents).
Have found all sorts of obscure family members - my cousin in Australia (we share the same grandad, me from grandad's 1st marriage, he from the 2nd marriage) put me in touch with a cousin who lives only an hour away from where I live. Turned out my grandad and her grandad were brothers. We've met up a few times and there is a definite family resemblance with the Woolley nose. This world is getting smaller!
I started my tree back in 1991 when I lived in London and used to go to Catherine's house to search through the microfiche to look at census records - my dad was interested in finding out more about his father and grandfather.
The info I started off with was my dad's name and date of birth 22/7/1932, his father's name Albert Francis Neal and dob 1/2/1876 , his father's name John and that they came from Horsmonden.
Searched the 1881 census, found the names easily enough but Albert wasn't an only child as dad had always thought but one of 5. 2 sisters died very young, 2 other brothers found no trace of where they died but calculated they would have been enlisted in the first world war by their ages.
10 years later I had communication from someone else that shared the same great grandad - turned out the 1891 census showed another 2 sons leading to further extended family!
So if anyone out there is connected to the Neal family from Horsmonden, Woolley family from Stockport, the Kensits of Derbyshire and London, anyone Burgoyne - do please get in touch!
You can find me on Facebook - just look for Jo Dee Burgoyne-Neal.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Not exactly a beginner!
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 December 18 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I have no connection to your family but I  noticed you are new to Rootschat and wanted to say welcome.

Have you looked at the members interest section? Scroll down to the bottom and look under Tools. The name Burgoyne is there, I haven't looked for you other names.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 01:02 GMT (UK) »

Welcome from me too LeedsSteampunk. Just shout if you need any help with any of your research.

Jebber's suggestion to look at the 'Surname Interests' at the bottom of the page is a good one, but keep in mind that sometimes find that people join rootschat, enter their surnames, then don't return, and may have changed email addresses, or lost interest etc.  (which can be disappointing when you discover a probable family connection but can't contact someone). :(

You can contact anyone via Personal Message after you make a couple more posts. Click on someone's name to contact them.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 01:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, welcome to RootsChat and happy New Year.
I notice you included your father's date of birth. Is he deceased? I ask because a rule on RootsChat is not putting information about living people.
Cowban

Offline LeedsSteampunk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 January 19 22:21 GMT (UK) »
My dad is no longer alive - thanks for the tip about the no info on living people!