Author Topic: Please could someone look over my brick wall hypothesis?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Please could someone look over my brick wall hypothesis?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 January 19 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello

On the Lancashire Archives Catalogue, there are loads of
Challinor / Challiner / Challenor / Challoner / Challener / Chalinor / Chaliner / Chalenor / Chaloner

(Not quite sure if I have all the main combinations with those above?)

When searching archives there are so many different surname combinations, you can spell the surname with one 'l' and 'll' and there may be more combinations than those above, to search too?

You might also try these above begining Chel ... and Chell ... too, when searching Archives.

https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office/our-collections/

Catalogue
http://archivecat.lancashire.gov.uk/calmview/Overview.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog

Try them all here too, as there may be some in relating to Oldham or Lancashire, held in other County collections.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search

Also you can try University Library Collections / Special Collections.

Don't forget Manchester too, like the John Rylands University.

READERS TICKET (Accessing Collections)
If visiting these places to see records make sure you can prove who are and where you live:- Passport / Photo Driving Licence PLUS something official very recently posted to your home address with both your name and address on within the last three months, like a Tax Notice / Utility Water Bill Statement / C/Tax Bill / Bank Statement / etc.

Bear in mind with the large number of Archives search surname returns, that these search returns are likely to be only a tiny fraction of records which survived and have been donated and transcribed so far.

But it may give some idea, that there was (or not) a family of that Surname in the Oldham / Ouldham area.

Also as we discovered at Lancashire Archives a Landowner's collection (who had many named Tenants in Rentals and Accounts Books and Volumes), that the main volumes had not yet been catalogued themselves (which contained the Tenants forenames and surnames within them).

Look for Oldham and nearby places in the same County and over any nearby County borders.

I feel there are far too many Lancashire Archives Search surname returns to start looking at Leicestershire.

If you have an 1836 death, is there a Headstone, or a Will, what was his Occupation, what else do you know about him, or what he did?

Have you entertained the idea that at some point they were Catholic or Nonconformist? Not C of E.

A Parish Church burial and a Marriage usually by Lic / Licence, can still mean Nonconformist, or even Catholic. Catholics if they wish to legally marry, had to marry in a Parish Church, as an unlawful Catholic Marriage was not recognised by the State 18th Century, (see Hardwicke's Marriage Act, 18th Century).

Some of these Nonconformist records don't survive. How old were the first NC Chapels in Oldham (in History Books about Oldham) and do their NC Registers go back to the very first opening.

I couldn't see Chalonor & Challonor spellings at Lancashire Archives.

Any in the same household in the Census (from 1841 onward), who could be related (perhaps not in the Direct line) and if any, have you looked at them too? How are they related? Are those others also going back to a dead end as it were?

Mark