Author Topic: Gallagher Lennox connection  (Read 714 times)

Offline Eleanor Margery Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Gallagher Lennox connection
« on: Friday 04 January 19 21:21 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on John Gallagher b 1830 d 1860 and his wife Anne Lennox b 1830 Ireland. John was in the military and his wife and family are found in Montreal after his death. Looking for any information about this family.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gallagher Lennox connection
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello and a very warm welcome to RootsChat  :)

Can you give us a bit more info to help us help you? Can you give us names and approximate birth years of children? What records do you have the family in after John's death? Did John die in Quebec? Please tell us as much as you can about the family at the time of John's death.

Regards
PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Eleanor Margery Campbell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 16:54 GMT (UK) »
John and Ann had four children--John b1853, Margaret b1856, Mary Ann b1858 and Isabella b1862. John was in the military and moved from Prescott to Toronto and then to Montreal. Isabella was born after John died and Ann and the family are found in the 1861 census living in some institution in Montreal so i assume John died there. I know nothing about John or Ann before or after that date. Isabella is found living with James and Mary Ann Richardson in the Ontario census in 1871 and 1881. I do not know if they were relatives. Isabella married my great grandfather Thomas Boyd in 1883. Her sister Mary Ann was a witness at the wedding. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 January 19 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again.

Since you are related to Isabella, I'm going to assume you have her information going forward and are looking for info about Ann and the other children?

This might be the death for Mary Gallagher....
In Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
31 Dec 1920
Parents John Gallagher and Ann Lenox, both born Ireland
Mary's birth date is given as 10 Jun 1858 Canada
She was single
Looks like she had been under the doctor's care for a number of years
Burial Laurel Hill Cemetery
Image on "ances.ry"; may also be available on familysearch but I didn't look there

I finally found the family in the 1861 census. Very hard to read the writing.

It looks like Mary may have already been in the USA at the time of Isabella's first marriage. If I remember correctly, she gave her address as Ogdensburg and this could be the one in New York State, although there is also apparently one in Quebec as well.

Added: there appears to be a Mary Gallagher servant 21 b Canada in the household of Sidney Brown in the 1880 census for Ogdensburg New York. Father b England, mother b Ireland. Anyway, food for thought.

John Jr., Margaret, and mother Ann are being elusive at the moment.

Do you have William Boyd's full WW1 military record (assuming I have connected the dots correctly)? It has been digitized by Library and Archives Canada and can be downloaded for free, although very very slow to download. Click on PDF at the bottom. Also available on ancestry if you have the needed sub.

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=58790

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:09 GMT (UK) »
"Quote from polarbear - This might be the death for Mary Gallagher....
In Philadelphia Pennsylvania USA
31 Dec 1920
Parents John Gallagher and Ann Lenox, both born Ireland
Mary's birth date is given as 10 Jun 1858 Canada
She was single
Looks like she had been under the doctor's care for a number of years
Burial Laurel Hill Cemetery
Image on "ances.ry"; may also be available on familysearch but I didn't look there"

FIND A GRAVE

Mary Ann Gallagher - 31December 1920 -

burial -     Laurel Hill Cemetery Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
PLOT   Section 14 Lot 316, 318 & 320

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/110956181

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:10 GMT (UK) »

The Philadelphia Inquirer  (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) - 2 Jan 1921, Sun  - Page 16

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/26886042/mary_nann_gallagher/

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi *Sandra*........thanks for adding the extra info.

This family is very elusive but it also doesn't help that the names are apparently quite common.

PB

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 January 19 19:30 GMT (UK) »

Hmm like you didn't have any luck so far.

Sandra  :-\