Author Topic: Shipwright / Ship's Carpenter  (Read 2662 times)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Wish I was still this cute!
    • View Profile
Shipwright / Ship's Carpenter
« on: Saturday 05 January 19 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks,

Would a shipwright/ship's carpenter ever have travelled on board a ship, to make running repairs, for instance?  And if so, would they have been issued with a seaman's ticket?

I'm just wondering whether it's worth searching these records for my ancestor.

Many thanks!

Edit - oops, I've just remembered that I did find a ticket for one ancestor who was a shipwright, so I think I've answered my own question  ;D ;D ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwright / Ship's Carpenter
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 19 16:26 GMT (UK) »
A Ship's Carpenter was a standard part of the complement of sailing ships.

I have a list of the officers and warrant officers of the East Indiaman Duke of York on her maiden voyage (1817 - 1819).

Listed are the Carpenter and first and second Carpenter's mates - all three of whom died at Whampoa between 16 September and 25 October of 1818.

Generally, the term Shipwright implies someone who builds ships (or refits and performs substantial repairs to ships) in a shipyard.

ADDED:

Whampoa also claimed the Chief Mate, the Sailmaker and the Quartermaster, plus at least one of the Seamen.

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 19 16:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for clarifying the difference between the two occupations, horselydown86  :)

My ancestor was listed as a shipwright on his 1846 marriage certificate, and in the 1851 census, but as a carpenter on his 1845 seaman's ticket.  So perhaps he did either job, depending on what employment was available at the time.

Sadly, he doesn't appear on the earlier 1841 census, and had died by the 1861.
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Reddie, Gott, Woodcock, Randerson, Heslop, Dove, Sowerby, Henderson, Singleton, Butler, Kelly, Parkes, Pinkney, Sellers, Speck, Todd,  Wilkie and others.

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 June 19 18:58 BST (UK) »
I have a line of shipwrights in family tree.  It seems an occupation handed down father to son.  A couple were trained as apprentices in a naval dockyard and I think part of their training involved time at sea.  There was a distinct occupation of shore based carpenter also employed in the dockyards.

HOUSE CARPENTERS.

Were chiefly concerned with the erection and maintenance of buildings ashore. They were so called to distinguish them from the shipwrights who were also known as " ships carpenters" . Not usually  having to  make curved shapes  in wood theirs was  a less skilled trade than that of shipwrights .The joiners who made furniture were more highly paid than the house carpenters .They were paid just slightly less than that of the shipwrights and the caulkers.
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline Whipby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 August 19 21:58 BST (UK) »
Many apologies, Annie, I’ve only just seen your reply  :o. Many thanks for adding that useful information, it’s very interesting to know the differences between the similar jobs!