Author Topic: WATSON: John & Agnes of Gorebridge  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WATSON: John & Agnes of Gorebridge
« on: Sunday 06 January 19 00:47 GMT (UK) »
G'day from Australia. I hope I have put this in the right forum.  I'll try and make this as simple as I can.  At our wedding in 1988, we had 2 people from Gorebridge attend.  Their names were John & Agnes Watson.  Both are deceased now.  John passed away first and Agnes went into a home with Dementia after that.  The years are vague.  At our wedding they would have been in their late 60's.  The only thing my wife and I can remember is that John Watson was a cousin to my wife's grand mothers, Sarah Brown Irvine (Nee Carson) Born 1913 Died 1993.  Any help would be grateful.  Hooroo for now. Joe Costello
Photo: L to R. John Watson, Agnes Watson, Joe Costello, Alison Irvine, Sarah (Sally) Irvine taken 1988
Costello, Irvine, Cahill, Fleming, Allen, Hawke, Dyball, Dawes, Moss, Carruthers

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
WATSON: John & Agnes of Gorebridge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 19 01:31 GMT (UK) »
G'day from Australia. I hope I have put this in the right forum.  I'll try and make this as simple as I can.  At our wedding in 1988, we had 2 people from Gorebridge attend.  Their names were John & Agnes Watson.  Both are deceased now.  John passed away first and Agnes went into a home with Dementia after that.  The years are vague.  At our wedding they would have been in their late 60's.  The only thing my wife and I can remember is that John Watson was a cousin to my wife's grand mothers, Sarah Brown Irvine (Nee Carson) Born 1913 Died 1993.  Any help would be grateful.  Hooroo for now. Joe Costello
Photo: L to R. John Watson, Agnes Watson, Joe Costello, Alison Irvine, Sarah (Sally) Irvine taken 1988
Costello, Irvine, Cahill, Fleming, Allen, Hawke, Dyball, Dawes, Moss, Carruthers

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: WATSON: John & Agnes of Gorebridge
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 January 19 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Duplicated post: topics now merged

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 19 02:05 GMT (UK) »
It doesn’t appear that they married in Gorebridge.

Quite a few Midlothian marriages with a John/Agnes combination.

Jamjar

Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 January 19 02:07 GMT (UK) »
Sarah Brown CARSON was born 1913 as you said. Registration area = Newbattle

So working on the likelihood they were all in the same zone there is this marriage

WATSON  JOHN  to LIDDLE  AGNES  1943 695/ 3  Newbattle

But I would suggest you need to work back on your wife’s grandmother’s -side and then back down to be sure you come to the correct Watsons.

There are two potential JOHN WATSON Births Newbattle.

WATSON  JOHN M 1918 695/A 157 Newbattle

WATSON JOHN M 1925 695/ 82 Newbattle

the first of which if you wanted to take a punt, you could download by buying credits at https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records 

But you do need to know more about the extended family which you can only do by working back and sideways logically

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 January 19 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the info and I am a member of Scotlands people.
I have my mother in law trying to find some letters they sent to get an address for where they lived.
I am having an issue finding a John Watson in our family tree so maybe cousin wasn't the correct term used by my wife's GM.  Would have been easier to have asked these questions when they were alive.  Bugger.  Anyway I'll keep trying.

Offline Joe Costello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 January 19 02:50 GMT (UK) »
Is there a website that I could search to find when they died and work back from there ?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 January 19 03:07 GMT (UK) »
Scotlands people :-)

There are THOUSANDS of John WATSONS! and almost as many Agnes's

However if you put Agnes Watson, other name Liddle you get just the one in Midlothian (I am assuming that's the area they stayed in?)  But maybe 2005 is too recent??

Of course that only works if it's the right couple!

WATSON AGNES 87 SPEARS 2005 762/ 615 Dalkeith   

SPEARS is her mothers maiden name and there is a marriage

SPEARS MARGARET D LIDDLE DAVID 1903 676/ 20 Cockpen

Maybe if you try putting 'other name' all the surnames you know of in your tree for John WATSON, you might be able to narrow it down a bit?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 January 19 03:30 GMT (UK) »
 I've just looked at the ancestry trees.
Jemima Brown WATSON sure had a lot of siblings! That's a lot to go through!