Author Topic: Confusing relationships in will of 1575  (Read 257 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Confusing relationships in will of 1575
« on: Monday 07 January 19 18:45 GMT (UK) »
The will of Philip Ley of 1575 mentions his “daughter in law” Margaret Lytherlande, and also mentions the “mother in law” of Philip’s son William (William will inherit something she is left if he survives her). She is referred to as “aforesaid”. Philip has earlier mentioned “Elizabeth Ley my wife” but otherwise only seems to mention his (Philip’s) daughters by name. I’m confused. Any explanations?

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing relationships in will of 1575
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Sometimes "in law" was used in relationships where we would use "step", so this might be referring to a stepdaughter and stepmother.

Logically that could work, if Philip's first wife (William's mother) died and he then married Elizabeth Lytherlande (a widow, and mother of Margaret). PR entries might confirm this or otherwise.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confusing relationships in will of 1575
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 19 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks arthurk, your explanation certainly makes sense of this. I did have a look to see if I could find a baptism of Margaret Lytherland but it was presumably too early to appear in the record. Certainly Philip had a daughter by Elizabeth Ley in 1569, which is about the first year of the surviving register in this parish (and no record elsewhere locally either). Son William’s baptism is also missing, and he was having children of his own baptised by 1578.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight