Offline susan ault

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Home
« on: Tuesday 08 January 19 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
Happy new year

Can I ask if a child is baptised would the parents need to say where they are from. I know as Church of England you have to live in the diocese of the church in which you either wish to marry or have children baptised.
I have 2 Irish catholic ancestors, one is a Elizabeth Cronin and I sort of believe she maybe from Cork. I cannot find a marriage of my Great x 3 Grandparents and as my x 3 great grandfather died in 1840 In Southwark surrey, and his wife remarried three years later in a Belgium catholic Chapple in Bloomsbury London stating she was a spinster. I digress here as my x 2 great grandmother a Mary Ann Moore had her children baptised in a catholic church in Marylebone London, and I have copies of baptisms and they are all in latin, so when mary Ann first arranged the first of her childrens baptisms, would she have to state where in Ireland she originated.

Hope this makes sense as I am clutching at straws as to where Mary Ann originated from in Ireland.

ta
sue ault

Offline Cwellan CoDown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Home
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Most Catholic baptisms I have seen, simple list the childs name, and parents names (and possibly a place of residence), and the names of the godparents.

Sometime you can get lucky, and they will be a note added years later to say where they married.

All parishes had different ways of recording the details at baptism - so the details each baptism holds will be different.

I have found a home place in Ireland for some people living in England, by checking each census, as occasionally they will include a county or place of birth, and not just Ireland.
McClean, Kelly, Murray, Higgins, McAnulty (McNulty, Conalty, Kinolty), Morgan, Rafferty, McPolin (All Co Down, Ireland) Bowman, Hooper(Yorkshire)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Hope this makes sense as I am clutching at straws as to where Mary Ann originated from in Ireland.

When was she born and died?  If she is on a census in London it may give a more specific place of birth rather than just Ireland. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Most Catholic baptisms I have seen, simple list the childs name, and parents names (and possibly a place of residence), and the names of the godparents.

Sometime you can get lucky, and they will be a note added years later to say where they married.

A note re marriage of the baptised person would be more likely for 20thC weddings because of a change in Catholic canon law on marriage applied in England from c1909.
When were the baptisms of the children of Mary Ann Moore? Do you have a marriage for her? I've seen extra information included in a few R.C. marriage registers in England and Ireland from 19thC; abode of father (although it might say just Ireland); name of mother of bride and groom;  this extra information is rare.
Who were godparents? Were they relatives of Mary Ann? If so, trace them on census to see if they gave information about place of birth.
Cowban

Offline susan ault

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 23:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have marriage and they married in London, her children were baptised at st james Spanish place Marylebone. She has some women with the surname of Clancy as Godmothers on various baptisms and I think I may have found this Clancy family in Marylebone and they are from Cork. obviously I know Mary anns father as she states on her marriage certificate, he is a John Moore. I know her husband Jeremiah Harrington's mother Eliza Cronin is from Cork.

Were they worried they would be sent home to Ireland if they said where they came from ?. It took me years to find out where my x2 Scottish great grandfather came from because all he ever said on census was Scotland. Did they not realise I would come searching  ;D  ???  :o  ::)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 23:38 GMT (UK) »

Were they worried they would be sent home to Ireland if they said where they came from ?. It took me years to find out where my x2 Scottish great grandfather came from because all he ever said on census was Scotland. Did they not realise I would come searching  ;D  ???  :o  ::)
Do you mean on a census? Settlement Law didn't apply in Ireland as it did in England.
1841 census asked for limited information about place of birth; born in or out of county or born in Scotland or Ireland or foreign parts?
Information about birthplace entered on census household returns may have been influenced by several factors. Literacy for one. If the Irish person couldn't write, someone else would have to interpret what they were told and write it down. It may have been quicker and easier in some cases to write simply "Ireland" rather than attempt to spell name of a place.
Cowban

Offline susan ault

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you your probably right
Thanks for the help

all the best

sue a