Author Topic: Armstrong + McCormick  (Read 10076 times)

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Armstrong + McCormick
« on: Monday 02 August 04 10:22 BST (UK) »
My Great grandparents, William McCormick and Jane Armstrong were married at Magheraculmoney in 1837, William's parents were Joseph McCormick and Bella Hamilton who may have lived in the township of Barnalackanor thereabouts, any info on this branch would be welcome. Jane's parents were in America by 1850, is it possible for someone to check if Andrew Armstrong and wife Ann Jolley with two children left Fermanagh and went to America between 1837 and 1850,
                              Thanks
                                  Alistair McCormick

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong + McCormick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 December 04 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alistair

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 November 05 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Notice that you also list County Monaghan as a location in your surname interests.   I am looking for information on a Peter McCormick born ca.1792 Monaghan.   His father was also Peter but no mother's name.   A shot in the dark, but does any of this seem familiar at all.
Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown
Ireland (pre-1820) McCormick (Monaghan)

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 February 06 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Grendlsmother,
                           It would be interesting (and very fortunate) if we could establish that your Peter McCormick and my Joseph McCormick were related, they are both about the same date,
                                  Regrds
                                  Alistair McCormick

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 February 06 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi - it certainly would.   As I said previously the only information I have on him prior to him coming to Scotland (sometime before 1822) was that he was born around 1792, Monaghan (from '61 census).  Father's name given on death cert as Peter McCormick, mother not mentioned.   On the 1851 census his name is give as Patrick, but Peter on '41 and '61. Children's names: Mary; Daniel; Janet; Margaret; Isabella; Peter; James; John; Thomas and Elizabeth.   
I would hazard a guess at his mother's name being either Mary or Isabella.   The children's names would seem to follow the normal naming pattern, apart from Daniel, which is a bit of a mystery. 
(Wife was Margaret - her parents James and Janet).    There is always the possibility that the son who registered the death didn't know who his grandfather was, but as it was Daniel who reported it, you'd think he would know if the grandfather was Daniel as well - so I have to trust the certificate and go for Peter.
Will post more if I think of anything.

Ayrshire: McCormick (mack); McFadzean; Kerr; Brown; Paton; McGregor; McDonald; Moffat; Connel; Bone
Dumfries/Lanarks: (pre-1840) McDonald; Moffat; Bone; Hamilton; Hyslop; Sandiland; Bredwood; Kerr; Brown

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Grendlsmother,
                                 Have you looked at the 1796 Irish Flax Growers list for Moaghan  There is a Peter McCormick there, along with a Joseph , how do we find out if they are ours?
                                Regards
m                                 Alistair

Offline grendlsmother

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 February 06 17:42 GMT (UK) »
I don't know - a 2nd cousin who is also researching has mentioned that this name is there, although it would be the father of my Peter as he would only be about 4 in 1796 - but his father's name was Peter.

I have never been able to find this flax growers' list.   Do you want to post the URL and if I look at it I might get some inspiration.

Bye for now.
Trish

Offline Alistair

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 February 06 02:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish,
                        I found the McCormick names on the flaxgrowers list through Ancestry , probaply at the Church of the Latter Day Saints in Bendigo. I had a look today and cannot find them!. Perhaps some of the more experienced people on Rootschat can help us. Ancestry only gave the names unless one is a subscriber.
We will keep trying, (Try Google)
                         Regards
                                   Alistair,

Offline Soopy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 February 06 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi.....I am researching the Armstrongs in Enniskillen. I am looking for info on a Nicholina ARMSTRONG b.1797-99 and married Hugh COPELAND in 1829 at Derryvolland? Church. Nicholina and 10 children came to US in 1848 after Hugh died. Anything sound familiar???
   I also checked Ancestry for you....I founda Peter McCormick marr Nov 19 1822 to a Bridget Derkin at Athenry, County Galway. As far as the other info this was all I got ...no other info but this:

Peter McCormick 30408  Longford 
 Peter McCormick 40005  Monaghan 
 Peter McCormick 44248  Roscommon 
 Peter McCormick 56217  Westmeath 

I have some great sites for Flax growers , and Griffiths Valu...I don't know if they let me post it but here it is:
 www.failteromhat.com  or
myirishancestry.com/index.php
 Those might help you..........
     Soopy

Armstrong- Innishmore,Co Fermanagh;Omagh Co Tyrone; Dumfrieshire,
 Scotland; New York, US.
Jardine- Dumfrieshire,Scotland.
Buchanan- Omagh Co Tyrone; NY US.
Copeland- Lisbellaw &Enniskillen,Co Fermanagh;Co Monaghan; NY,US: Melborne, Austr.
Henderson- Lisbellaw, Kesh Hill, Co Fermanagh; Co Monaghan.
Montgomery- Innishmore, Co Fermanagh.
Edmonds-England; NY US.
Newland-England; NY US.
Kingsley- Troy & NYC, NY.
Moroney/Maroney-Galway,Ire;NY,US
Russell-Foxfort,Tipperary,Ire ;NY,US
Darcy-I